cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Core Redundancy Default Gateway for ISP1 and ISP2

Joshua Maurer
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with (2) Nexus 7009 in my core and have (2) different ISPs using (2) different ASA's pairs for redundancy. I am running EIGRP for my LAN computers. I have a secondary Data Center that will be connected later but these DC are running independent and connected by L3 connections. 

I was looking into setting up IP SLA to track the state of the primary ISP1 and if the ISP's Gateway is unreachable it would switch to the secondary ISP2 without anyone noticing the change. But it looks like the feature is not available to activate on my Nexus 7009. What are my other options? Should I be using BGP or another protocol to manage this? How would the configuration look?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

as far as I recall, IP SLAs are available for the Nexus 7K. Which NX-OS release are you running ?

Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS IP SLAs Configuration Guide, Release 6.x

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/IPSLA/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_IP_SLAs_Configuration_Guide_rel_6-x.html

Hello

You shouldn't really need to use ip sla given what you have describe but can you confirm.

Are the core switches are vpc'd together?

Do you a have eigrp or another routing protocol between the core and the ASA's or is this just static routing?

What routes are being advertised into the core switches and LAN?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The version of the N7K are:

Software
BIOS: version 3.22.0
kickstart: version 6.0(4)
system: version 6.0(4)

The cores are vPC with keepalives on (2) different module cards. I have EIGRP used only on the inside networks. Statics routes are used to point the Core out to the ASA's and the ASA's traffic inside. There are (2) different ASA pairs with different ISPs on each.

The Core has (5) different /16 on the inside interface and (2) /16 on the Guest Wireless interface with a default route of ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.20.20.24. 

Inside

(10.0 - 3.0.0/16)

10.100.0.0/16

(172.16 - 17.0.0/16)

172.20.20.24 is primary ISP
172.20.20.23 is secondary ISP - Guest Traffic Primary

When I need to happen is for the N7Ks to ping the ISP gateway's to verify if the like is alive or dead to see where they need to set the default route to.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card