cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus F2e & M1 compatibility

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

I see that the F2e and M1 can coexist in the same VDC, which is a good step forward. But I also read that and L3 functions are proxied from the F2e if there is an M1 present in the VDC.

Does this mean that if there is an M1 in the same VDC, an F2e cannot actually perform routing? So no routing adjacencies on directly connected interfaces? Can the L3 proxy be disabled?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does this mean that if there is an M1 in the same VDC, an F2e cannot actually perform routing?

That's correct.  If an F2e and M1/M2 are in the same vDC and you are running routing, the M1/M2 will take over the routing and F2e will "downgrade" itself to do nothing but Layer 2 stuff. 

This bit of information can be found in the Release Notes.

Hi Leo,

Does the F2e support all routing functionalities in F2e-only VDC? (And the same with F2?)

Does the F2e support all routing functionalities in F2e-only VDC? (And the same with F2?)

Define "all routing functionalities".   If I remembered correctly if you want to do MPLS, M1/M2 are primed to do this. 

For example is it possible to do OSPF, BGP with all protocol features on F2/F2e modules?

I’ve hit an issue with an F2e/M1 VDC. I can’t create L3 routed interfaces or L3 port channels on the F2e line card ports.

Is this possible or is it a limitation when coexisting F2e/M1 line cards in the same VDC?

Running 6.2(2a), SUP2E

VDC XXXXXXX

limit-resource module-type m1 m1xl m2xl f2e

Gavin,

As far as I am aware, if there is an M1/M2 card in the same vDC, the F3 card is suppose to DOWNGRADE from Layer 3 to a Layer 2. M1/M2 card will take over all Layer 3 functions.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Thanks, I understand that but should you loose the ability to create no switchport layer 3 interfaces? I'm guessing SVIs will be allowed and proxy the L3 requests to the m1 card. I cannot create a routed port(no switchport) or a layer 3 port channel using an F2e port.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card