cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus OSPF passive interface

satish.txt1
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco Nexus 9396PX switch and running OSPF configuration and now i want to tell all switch interface to not participate in ospf adjacency except only specific interface, so i there any global command to tell all interface in passive. 

Here is my config, only eth2/11 and eth2/12 are participating in ospf routing but i want to make sure it does not send OSPF update to all  48x10GE  (all other 10G ports) in that case do i need to do  "ip ospf passive-interface"  on all interface?

N9K# sh run ospf

!Command: show running-config ospf
!Time: Thu Apr 26 15:22:04 2018

version 7.0(3)I4(7)
feature ospf

router ospf 100
  router-id 192.168.255.19
  default-information originate

interface Ethernet2/11
  ip router ospf 100 area 0.0.0.0

interface Ethernet2/12
  ip router ospf 100 area 0.0.0.0

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, you just need it for e2/11 and e2/12.

HTH

I didn't get it, You are saying i should set `passive-interface default` in ospf config and tell e2/11 & e2/12 to "no ip ospf passive-interface" ?

In current config for testing i did "debug ip ospf hello" and found its just sending "hello" on e2/11 & e2/12 so look like i don't need do any passive-interface config, am i right?

The easiest way to do this is by adding 

ip ospf passive-interface

to both e2/11 & e2/12 

So, neither interface with form adjacency.

You can also do it the other way too by adding 

passive-interface default to OSPF and then add 

"no ip ospf passive-interface" to each interface 

but I like the first option.

HTH

Why do you think first option is best?

"ip ospf passive-interface both e2/11 & e2/12" This command stop OSFP on both interface, in my case i want both interface run OSFP process on e2/11 & e2/12 and stop OSPF on all other interface.

I think second method would be best default OSFP default and do "no ip ospf passive-interface" on e2/11 & e2/12

router ospf 100
passive-interface default
!
int e2/11
no ip ospf passive-interface
!
int e2/12
no ip ospf passive-interface
easiest solution..

fangyachi
Level 1
Level 1

ospf instance's command "passive-interface default" will override your configuration of interface

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card