Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus port channel load balance

xzjleo2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I just want to clarify one setting for the port channel load balance on Nexus 6k switch. If I use the load balance option source-dest-ip-only, will following four converstions be load balanced?

10.10.10.1 -> 192.168.1.1

10.10.10.2 -> 192.168.1.1

10.10.10.1 -> 192.168.1.1

10.10.10.1 -> 192.168.1.2

Thanks. Leo

2 Replies 2

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Leo,

I think there may be typo in your question as I only see three conversations and not four. That aside I've not seen the Nexus port-channel load balancing sufficiently well documented to be able to give you the exact answer.

In their configuration guides Cisco only include the following statement:

Cisco NX-OS load balances traffic across all operational interfaces in a port channel by reducing part of the binary pattern formed from the addresses in the frame to a numerical value that selects one of the links in the channel.

There is other documentation that states the load balancing algorithm uses a CRC-8 based polynomial, but as we don't know exactly which parts of the frame are used in the calculation, I don't see it's possible to calculate the answer and so derive the link that will be used for a given conversation.

While I've not seen full documentation regarding the science used in the calculation, what Cisco have done is provide a command on the switch CLI that will allow you to determine which link of a port-channel will be used.

If you run the command show port-channel load-balance forwarding-path interface port-channel vlan src-ip dst-ip then one of the parts of the output is the member link of the port-channel that will be used for that flow.

You can find full details of the options for the show port-channel load-balance command in the command reference.

One other point to remember is that the load balancing across a port-channel is unidirectional, and the hashing might be completely different for the return flow of a conversation. For example it is entirely possible that traffic from A to B could use one link of a port-channel, while the return traffic from B to A for the same conversation could use a different link.

In general I would use the source-dest-port option for load balancing on the Nexus switches as this will obviously include the Layer-4 port numbers in the calculation, and so give you a better distribution of flows across all member links.

Regards

Hi Steve,

Thanks for youre reply and advices

Cheers, Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: