Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Switch Backup Config with less privilege

Gustav Klein
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

were having a mixed Core Infrastructure with some Cisco Switches and 2 ASA 5585x.

Besides that we have a Syslog and Backup Linux Server running.

So Our Goal is to get the running-config over tftp to our Syslog Server, but we dont want to use a Privilge 15 User for that because the Password is set in Plain Text on this Linux Server and this is an Security Issue.

i did get it to Work with our WS-C3560X-48 Switches, therfore i did use the folowing Commands:

#username configbackup privilege 7 password 7 *********

#privilege exec level 7 copy running-config

With these Steps this User can Copy the Running Config from the Core Devices with only needed Priviliges.

Now the Porblem is that we have some Cisco Nexus Switches, here the above Commands wont work!

Nexus 5010

Nexus 5548

i did try 

username configbackup password 5 **************** role priv-7

but i cant set permissions only to do copy running-config to tftp Server.

Maybe sombody can help me out here.

Thank you verry Much

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gustav

RBAC (role based access control) on Nexus should meet your requirements. One solution would be to create a user with command rules to allow execution only of your required commands.

Please see this link for more details:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/system_management/502_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_system_mgmt_cg_rel_502_n1_1/Cisco_n5k_system_mgmt_cg_rel_502_n1_1_chapter6.pdf

Hope this helps. Please rate if it does.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Gustav

RBAC (role based access control) on Nexus should meet your requirements. One solution would be to create a user with command rules to allow execution only of your required commands.

Please see this link for more details:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/system_management/502_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_system_mgmt_cg_rel_502_n1_1/Cisco_n5k_system_mgmt_cg_rel_502_n1_1_chapter6.pdf

Hope this helps. Please rate if it does.

Ty Verry Much, indeed it was exaclty what i was looking for.

Kind regards Gustav
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card