Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus switches

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a big confusion here, I have a Nexus 9148s this is a fabric and it goes connected to the parent switch my 7706, but the Nexus 9372, is this also a fabric ?

Can someone help me with this?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are using the 7706 as your core/parent switches, than they need to be VPCed together and not the 9372s. Also, if you are going to connect the 9372 switches to both 7706 switches, than you want VPC.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The 9300 series switches can be deployed as stand-alone switches and don't need to be connected  to parent switches, like FEXs.

HTH

Hello Reza,

I have one more questions if this can be single  stand-alone, I have to connect this to my 7706 will this be better to be a simple port channel or a vpc?

Thanks!

Hi,

If you are connecting it to only one 7706 than there is no need for VPC. Just a Portchannel. If you are connecting it to 2 different 7706s and they are VPCed together than you want to use VPC this switch.

HTH

Hi all,

I have two 9372 that will go connected to my two 7706, between my 9372 I have created a vpc peer-link, so for what I understand I till be better to do a port-channel to my 7706?

Thanks!

If you are using the 7706 as your core/parent switches, than they need to be VPCed together and not the 9372s. Also, if you are going to connect the 9372 switches to both 7706 switches, than you want VPC.

HTH

Only one last question, is there any pdf where I can see what are the best practices about connecting devices, like the example that you and Ganesh just gave me.

Thanks.

Have a look at this doc. Its long document, but worth reading it.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

Good Luck

Hello Reza,

I have one more questions if this can be single  stand-alone, I have to connect this to my 7706 will this be better to be a simple port channel or a vpc?

Thanks!

Hi,

For single to single is always to have high capacity redundant port channel links is recommended.

so better to have port channel with 4 or 8 physical link bundle between 9K and 7K.

vPC are been used in scenarios were you want all links to be active and between two uplinks switches.

Hope it Helps.

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card