Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus VDC config save error

Hi all,

I changed the configuration on a N7K-C7009 with two N7K-SUP2E supervisors.
Now I get the following error when trying to save the configuration:
"Configuration update aborted: This vdc has had a global configuration change since the last saved config. Please save config in default vdc before proceeding"

However there is only 1 VDC present, no changes were made in another VDC. So there is also no pending change in a different VDC. Is this a case where a reboot of the switch is required?
I saw a few known bugs such as CSCus22805 : Bug Search Tool (cisco.com)
However the switch is running 7.3(5)D1(1). Uptime us 1079 days though.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Christopher!

The VDC output only mentions the 1 VDC, that is why I got confused. It did not include it for security reasons and since it only showed 1 entry. That info I already found.

I did ask a colleague which led to the solution as he set the environment up in the past.
The issue is that the management IP that we use for the switch leads directly to that VDC, therefore not showing the admin VDC. The clue was that it showed the 1 VDC that I saw with ID nr.2.
After logging in to the switch on a different management IP is was logged in to the admin-VDC, there I was able to save the config after which I was also able again to save the configuration in de "production" VDC.

To recap for myself and others, the confusing parts for me where:
- guides that I found mentioned "switchto" where I only had "switchback"
- "show vdc" only showed 1 VDC, the ID was 2 for the 1 VDC I saw though

This combined with only really finding bug referenced that where not relevant to my situation (config saves not completing). Also I lacked knowledge of this technology, in the end the guy who set it up made me a wiser man
I'm glad I posted here too, hopefully it will be usefull to someone in the future.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rik!

Can you provide the output of the show vdc command from the switch where you see this error? This output will validate whether or not there is an admin VDC present on the switch.

Thank you!

-Christopher

Hi Christopher!

The VDC output only mentions the 1 VDC, that is why I got confused. It did not include it for security reasons and since it only showed 1 entry. That info I already found.

I did ask a colleague which led to the solution as he set the environment up in the past.
The issue is that the management IP that we use for the switch leads directly to that VDC, therefore not showing the admin VDC. The clue was that it showed the 1 VDC that I saw with ID nr.2.
After logging in to the switch on a different management IP is was logged in to the admin-VDC, there I was able to save the config after which I was also able again to save the configuration in de "production" VDC.

To recap for myself and others, the confusing parts for me where:
- guides that I found mentioned "switchto" where I only had "switchback"
- "show vdc" only showed 1 VDC, the ID was 2 for the 1 VDC I saw though

This combined with only really finding bug referenced that where not relevant to my situation (config saves not completing). Also I lacked knowledge of this technology, in the end the guy who set it up made me a wiser man
I'm glad I posted here too, hopefully it will be usefull to someone in the future.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you in the default VDC (vdc1)?

What is the output of "show vdc"?

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco