Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus5K 7.2 EIGRP Port channel issue

satya mothukuri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are having Model: Cisco Nexus 5672UP Chassis with Fex: Extender Model: N2K-C2232PP-10GE and they all are running on kickstart: version 7.2(0)N1(1) :System:    version 7.2(0)N1(1).

We are planning to connect 3 Router ISR4451-X/K9 with Version 15.5(3)S6 to the nexus and run EIGRP.

I have design in the following way.Nexus core.jpg

I want to create L3 port channel on router and also on nexus and run EIGRP on them. But I came to know Nexus 7.2 has some Port channel issues when running EIGRP.

Can anyone suggest how we can effectively design with redundant connections with out upgrading nexus?

Regards,

Satya.Mothukuri

3 Replies 3

Yachay
Level 1
Level 1

I recommend you to check first the following link: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-2000-series-fabric-extenders/200363-nexus-2000-fabric-extenders-supported-un.html

in order to improve your design.

After that, you can check this other link: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/mkt_ops_guides/513_n1_1/n5k_L3_w_vpc_5500platform.html#wp999181

in order to see a recommended topology for your case.

Thanks for the reply Yachay,

So the ideal way to connect router to nexus :

The router connects with Layer 3 interfaces 1.1.1.2 and 2.2.2.2 to the two vPC peers and these interfaces are not part of a vPC port channel.

I want to know if this is limitation on 7.2 and in 7.3 was this addressed?

Regards,

Satya.M

For 5Ks, that limitation was lifted on 7.3 (with the layer3 peer-router configuration.) But, according to some colleagues, Cisco told them that using dedicated layer 3 links is the best way to avoid any issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: