cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus7K: HSRP with VPC setup,Shall we run BFD between HSRP peers?

booshanm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nexus7K: HSRP with VPC setup,Shall we run BFD between HSRP peers?

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BFD usually is not used with HSRP. It is used with routing protocols like BGP to lower the fail-over time. HSRP fail-over time is pretty fast but if you want to improve that, you can manipulate the HSRP timers.

HTH 

Thanks for your reply.

Here my question is will it work along with VPC?

Because VPC and HSRP are configured in a customer environment, the customer wants to configure BFD between HSRP peers.

I read in one of the CCO document that BFD with VPC is not supported. The document link mentioned,you can find it in "SVI limitation" section.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_7x_chapter_0110...

SVI limitations:

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @booshanm 

You do not need BFD between vPC peers. They are both active forwarding. Plus, you can enable "vpc peer-gateway" and the switches can route the traffic destined to it's peer as well.

Cheers,

Sergiu

Customer want to configure the BFD on HSRP peers, not VPC peers but VPC is also running in the same box.

If the VLAN configured with HSRP is a vPC vlan, then HSRP will be active forwarding on both vPC peers, thus no need for BFD.

Cheers,

Sergiu

As per my understanding is correct, BFD is a control plane protocol. If this a case HSRP is active /standby on the control plane and its hold on time is 10 Sec. To minimize the hello and holdon time BFD is required, right?

Hi @booshanm 

Generally speaking yes, BFD can be configured for HSRP to improve convergence. However, since you mentioned about vPC, there are a couple of limitations which you need to be aware of. All the limitations are also mentioned in config guide:

Guidelines and Limitations for BFD

BFD has the following configuration guidelines and limitations:

• if the carrier interface is a virtual port channel (vPC), BFD is not supported over the SVI interface.
  • When Layer 3 over vPC feature is enabled using the layer3 peer-router command, BFD enabled with echo function is not supported on a switched virtual interface (SVIs) using vPC VLANs that are part of a vPC peer-link.

• vPC is not supported.

Ref: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/interfaces/config/cisco_nexus7000_interfaces_config_guide_8x/config-bidirectional-forwarding-detection.html 

I think is pretty clear from these limitations that vPC + BFD for HSRP is not something supported.

Hope it helps,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card