Views
Helpful
Replies

NM-16ESW module and 802.1x

aruzsinszky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know whether IOS supports NM-16ESW module and 802.1x protocol?

I tried to setup a virtualized c2621 router with IOS IPBASE 12.3-6b and dot1x commands are missing.

I tried out this description:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/12_2z/12_2zj/feature/guide/fz1636nm.html#wp1819672

In that doc I read explicite the 802.1x support. ("802.1x Port-Based Authentication")

I'm not sure what could be the problem. Router detected the 18 FastEthernet interfaces (with the default 2

interfaces on the motherboard).

I'd like to setup a virtualized 802.1x environment for wired and wireless LAN but I don't know any

virtualized WLAN devices so I tried to use NM-16ESW.

TIA,

Ruzsi

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me see if I still remember this ...

The NM-16ESW is a cut-down version of a 3750.  If this is so, then I would recommend the IOS to support 12.2(53)SE2.  This is what we are using to support 802.1x for both wired and wireless.  The earlier version, 12.2(53)SE would crash spectacularly when the port would request for a VLAN 1 in the packet if VLAN 1 doesn't exist.

Hope this helps.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Hi,

Where can I find that IOS?

In the Software Advisor I found 12.2(46a) for c2621.

TIA,

Ruzsi

I did more search with Software Advisor and I found the 12.2(53)SE2 for c3750 switch!

NM-16ESW is a switch module but plugged in a router so I can't use image for

c3750 switch.

TIA,

I did more search with Software Advisor and I found the 12.2(53)SE2 for c3750 switch!  NM-16ESW is a switch module but plugged in a router so I can't use image for c3750 switch.

If you telnet to the NM-16ESW and do a "dir" what is the filename?

c2600-ipbase-mz.123-6b.bin

You need to configure the module first.  Once this is achievable, you should be able to telnet in to the module via the on-board backplane.  And from there you can get the filename.

Hi,

Sorry for my not helpfull rating. I clicked on a wrong star. :-(

Can I correct it somehow?

TIA,

Can I correct it somehow?

Can you rate me again? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco