cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No DNS

simon.hutton1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've been trying to get to the bottom of this for a few days but i'm no closer so i'm hoping someone out there can help.

We have an existing ASA which the rest of the LAN connects to. We then have a new Cisco 1900 router which connects to the ASA and has 2 networks 10.20.4.0/24 and 10.20.5.0/24. I have full traffic through the ASA to the existing network which is 10.20.0.0/22. From the 10.20.4.0 and 5.0 networks i can ping IP addresses in existing network and can ping Internet IP addresses. From existing network i can ping back to IP's on the 4.0 and 5.0 networks. so my router is passing traffic ok. However it doesn't appear to be passing DNS. I have my DNS servers set in existing network 10.20.0.20 and 10.20.0.21 these are included in the DHCP scope of the 2 4.0 and 5.0 pools and show when i do an ipconfig /all on the clients. I am able to ping them both OK too.

When i look at Wireshark on the DNS servers i can see that they receive the request and send a response but this response never makes it to the client. If i connect to the router using Putty and issue a ping to www.google.co.uk and source it from the 10.20.4.1 interface i do get DNS resolution but clients don't.

1 Reply 1

Traian Bratescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I had some issues with clients using extended DNS which was dropped by ASA; mabe you could enable extendedd DNS inspection on ASA?

Traian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card