Views
Helpful
Replies

no mac address in mac-address-table

from88
Level 4
Level 4

hello,

What could be the case when Nexus5548 version 3.6.0 doesnt show some mac-addresses in theirs mac address table. Even though i see the arp and i can ping them.

sho mac address-table count 
MAC Entries for all vlans:
Dynamic Address Count: 1941 
Static Address (User-defined) Count: 202 
Multicast MAC Address Count: 1
Total MAC Addresses in Use: 2144
sho ip arp 10.2.80.223 vrf lan

IP ARP Table
Total number of entries: 1
Address         Age       MAC Address     Interface
10.2.80.223     00:09:42  5cb9.0189.b5ac  Vlan280         
Device1a# show mac address-table address 5cb9.0189.b5ac

What could the tshooting process ? Thank you

4 Replies 4

Thomas Schmitt
Level 1
Level 1

@from88 wrote:

hello,

What could be the case when Nexus5548 version 3.6.0 doesnt show some mac-addresses in theirs mac address table.

Version 3.6.0? How old is this image?

Hello

Arp and mac table have a very different default timeout values ( arp 4hrs) (mac 5 mins), So inactivty of the end host could mean that the mac entries have expired and been flushed from the cam table.

An oui lookup on that mac-address states it is an HP device (possible printer) so it is indeed possible that devcie has gone into a standby mode and but due the the high timeout value of the arp table it is still registered in arp but not in the cam table.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

sorry, here is correct info of versions:

Software
BIOS: version 07.34
NXOS: version 7.0(3)I2(2a)

yes, i know that there're different timeouts of ARP and mac-address-table. The strange reason is that I even ping the host and getting reply, still i dont see the mac in address table. Same goes if im clearing the arp catche. Arp renews but the mac address is not seen in table.

Hello

Do you have enough space in the cam table for new entries, any port security applied to the port the device is attached to possibly negating learning of the devices L2 address, Another alternative is buggy nx-os software

What is the device attached, it is a server?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card