cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Non ISSU upgrade docs for Nexus 5548UP 5.1(3) -> 7.X ?

Pigi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need to upgrade a couple of Nexus 5548UP from 5.1(3)N2(1) to 7.3 

The two nexus are in a vPC between them and both have a couple of FEX and an L3 daughter card.

`show module`
Mod Ports Module-Type Model Status
--- ----- -------------------------------- ---------------------- ------------
1 32 O2 32X10GE/Modular Universal Pla N5K-C5548UP-SUP active *
3 0 O2 Daughter Card with L3 ASIC N55-D160L3 ok

I know that I need a long plan for ISSU upgrade, so my idea was to simply avoid ISSU and do a normal upgrade ( install ? ) by planning a downtime window and do the job in it.

I can't find, btw, docs about this procedure ( and their caveats ).

I've read something about problem in converting configuration from those releases namely from 5.2.1 to 7.1 ( bug CSCul22703 ) but if I go directly from 5.1 to 7.3 ( bug CSCva49522 ) that seems to fix the problem would it work ?

Would it work the "install all" from these two releases ?

And, as last question, can I do one switch at time or I must process both at same time ?

Hope I've been able to explain, and apologize for error but I'm not english native.

Thanks in advance

Pierluigi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I did find this at the bottom of the upgrade guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/upgrade/734_N1_1/n5500_upgrade_downgrade_734_n1_1.html#pgfId-766296

I think this will get you what you need.

***Please Mark and Rate helpful posts***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kevin Martin
Level 1
Level 1

The upgrade guides are here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/nexus-5548up-switch/model.html#InstallandUpgradeGuides

I will note that in the release notes for 7.3.(5)N1(1) and most of the 7.3 train, you'll see the below:

"If you want to upgrade from a release on Cisco NX-OS release 7.1 train or earlier, you must first upgrade to Cisco NX-OS release 7.1(4)N1(1) and then to 7.3(5)N1(1). If you want to upgrade from a release on Cisco NX-OS release 7.2 train or earlier, you must first upgrade to Cisco NX-OS release 7.3(2)N1(1) and then to 7.3(5)N1(1)."

So it looks like it will be a multi step process.

A couple of caveats that I've run into is ensuring some VLANs that you may use don't become reserved by the newer NX-OS.  You can find the reserved VLAN range in the release notes:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/release/notes/7x/Nexus5500_Release_Notes_7x.html

As for the install, install all should work just fine.  And as for your last question, you can perform the install one at a time.  The vPC will be down until both have the same NX-OS but traffic will flow properly.  Just be sure to follow the install guide if you have FEXs hanging off your 5Ks.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
first of all thanks for your reply !
I was thinking that the upgrade path would be for ISSU ( non disruptive ).
Being that I have L3 ( with daughter card ) I cannot do ISSU ( non disruptive ).
Moreover no one of the upgrade path shown in any version has a valid path from 5.1 unless I do a 5.1=>5.2
That's why I thought I could do in some way a "reinstall" instead of an "upgrade".

I think I would remove the switches from the network ( not only vPC ) and reinstall a new image and reconfigure one at time as by following the path proposed from Cisco manuals I will in any case hit a couple of bugs ....

Pierluigi

I did find this at the bottom of the upgrade guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/upgrade/734_N1_1/n5500_upgrade_downgrade_734_n1_1.html#pgfId-766296

I think this will get you what you need.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card