cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noob question on access port tagging ingress/egress

pdub206
Level 1
Level 1

When you have a port set up as an access port connected to another switch using an access port, which of the behaviors below is correct?

• Upon ingress to the switch, the port tags the frame based on the vlan assignment.  Upon egress, the port tags the frame based on the vlan assignment (both ways).
  • Upon ingress to the switch, the ports tags the frame based on the vlan assignment.  Upon egress, the port does not tag the frame and strips the vlan assignment off (one way tagging).

I have a coworker who told me the first is true, but my studies have indicated the second is true.  Am I wrong or is he?

Throwing packets since 2012
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The clue to whether frames leave without a tag is in the lack of encapsulation 802.1x statements on an access port.

The second statement is true.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The clue to whether frames leave without a tag is in the lack of encapsulation 802.1x statements on an access port.

The second statement is true.

Seb is correct.  The second statement is the bahvior when an interface is configured as an access port.  

When the switch sends frames out (egress) towards a client, there is no VLAN tag.  When the switch sends the frame from the interface (ingress) to another interface, the switch will apply the VLAN tag of whatever VLAN that interface is configured for.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card