cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ntp problem

network770
Level 1
Level 1

we have a number of switches, routers, firewall, etc pointing to the same windows ntp server and they are associated ok.

when i type show clock i am seeing the right time but looking at the timestamp on the logs (sh log) the times are very different.  why is that?

also we have devices in different time zones and i want all of them to display the same time regardless of where they are, any changes i need to make?

3 Replies 3

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

As long as all your devices are pointing to the identical NTP server the time should be same.  Check your configs to make sure the clock timezone offset is the same for all the devices.

Jonathan,

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want all of them to display the same time zone, then configure them in UTC.  Then depending al the location, you need to add or subtract hours to get that specific time.  For example, if you are in the Eastern US time zone, you need to subtract 4 hours from UTC.

HTH

plumbis
Level 7
Level 7

Check out the "service timestamps log" command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_r1.html#wp1030116

This will allow you to have the local timezone set on the clock but report syslogs in UTC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card