Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nxapi feature is not available in Nexus 5K switch

Hello,

We are using Nexus C5548UP switch and want to enable nxapi feature for switch health monitoring. This feature is not available in the switch. Please suggest if any specific license is required to enable this feature? We are using this since long time. 

I was able to enable this feature in 9K and 3K

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Presuming this feature is not available on the nexus 5000

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/programmability/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Programmability_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Programmability_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0101.pdf

On Cisco Nexus devices, command-line interfaces (CLIs) are run only on the device. NX-API improves the
accessibility of these CLIs by making them available outside of the switch by using HTTP/HTTPS. You can
use this extension to the existing Cisco Nexus CLI system on the Cisco Nexus 9000 Series devices. NX-API
supports show commands, configurations, and Linux Bash.
NX-API supports JSON-RPC.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

Cisco Nexus 5000 and 6000 series switches introduced support for NX-API starting with NX-OS software release 7.2(0)N1(1). This is documented in the Cisco Nexus 5000 and 6000 Series NX-OS Programmability Guide.

I tested this in my lab on a Nexus 5672UP device running NX-OS software release 7.3(7)N1(1b) and confirmed that I was able to access the NX-API sandbox without issues. See below:

N5K-C5672UP# show module
Mod Ports Module-Type                         Model                  Status
--- ----- ----------------------------------- ---------------------- -----------
1   48    Nexus 5672UP Supervisor             N5K-C5672UP-SUP        active *
2   6     Nexus 6xQSFP Ethernet Module        N5K-C5672UP-M6Q        ok

Mod  Sw              Hw      World-Wide-Name(s) (WWN)
---  --------------  ------  ---------------------------------------------------
1    7.3(7)N1(1b)    1.0     --
2    7.3(7)N1(1b)    1.0     --

N5K-C5672UP# show running-config nxapi

!Command: show running-config nxapi
!Time: Thu Aug 20 11:26:41 2020

version 7.3(7)N1(1b)
feature nxapi

nxapi https port 444
nxapi sandbox

Note the following two points:

1. You should not use a well-known port number (such as 80 or 443) to access NX-API. Configure a different port number (such as 444 in the configuration I showed above) in order to access NX-API.
  2. You must access NX-API via the IP address on the mgmt0 interface. Nexus 5000 and 6000 switches do not allow you to use a different VRF other than the built-in management VRF to access NX-API the same way that the Nexus 3000 and 9000 switches do.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card