cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Options to Connect two VRFs between 2 9508 switches

junos2ios
Level 1
Level 1

Hi- I have a need to connect 2 VRFs across two 9508s. Switches are connected via a L3 connection and can't be converted to L2 trunk. I was thinking about using GRE where tunnel is member of the VRF and uses default vrf to set up the tunnel. This isn't support on nexus, tunnel can't be part of one vrf and use a different vrf to reach tunnel destination

"Note - Configuring a GRE tunnel that uses a tunnel interface VRF that is different than the use-vrf for the tunnel destination is not supported. You need to use the same VRF for a tunnel interface and the tunnel destination"
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_01000.html.

What other options are available here. No MPLS supported on these. VxLAN seems too much work

TIA

4 Replies 4

szirazsombor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you could use a new L3 sub-interface for each new VRF.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0100.html#task_F08479C86D3E4CA8B273795FA337A734

Zsombor

Thanks but the switches are not directly connected ..there's a L3 router in the middle 

Tunnel interfaces seems to be a good solution, not sure why you are trying to use different VRF to build the tunnel. Why can't you use same VRF?

if i use lo0 on switch1 as the source of the tunnel and lo0 on switch2 as the destination, those loopbacks are in default vrf...so tunnel comes up fine but i need the tunnel to a member of a non default VRF.. i can't use interface that are in the default vrf as source and destinations for a tunnel which is in a different VRF.. 

if i use an interface from the non default VRF as source or destination, those have no reachability to each other so tunnel doesn't come up

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: