Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF and Traceroute

James Hoggard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please find attached topology in packet tracer.

I have OSPF configured between all routers in area 0 all is working and i can ping from end to end.

However when a run a tracert from pc5 ( 192.168.20.10 ) it takes a different route each time i run the tracert is this some kind of load balancing it is doing?

Also when it goes via 10.3.3.2 router after that i would expect the next hop to be 10.4.4.2 not 10.2.2.2? can anyone explain why it is doing this?

3 Replies 3

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

The router is load balancing between two equal cost paths. I believe its on a per session basis.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

OSPF will load balance in a situation like this, called equal cost multipath routing ECMP. Basically the paths have to have the same cost, dervied from the link speeds.

Probably what is occurring here is that the ICMP packet from PC5 gets to 10.4.4.2 via 10.3.3.2, but the router with the 10.4.4.2 interface simply sends the reply across the alternate path, as its an equal cost.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

BTW, also keep in mind, Packet Tracer, isn't always faithful to real networks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card