Helpful
Replies

OSPF route in routing table over DHCP default gateway

NIck Weber
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 2951's at a remote site.

2951 = MPLS circuit

2951 = Internet circuit with DMVPN (backup)

The 2 routes run OSPF with each other.  I inject a default route over MPLS into one of teh 2951.  The other 2951 with the internet connection uses DHCP to get it's IP address and default gateway.  When running this way my default route on the router with the internet connection goes through the 2951 with the MPLS circuit.  Why does this happen, and it over runs the DHCP default gateway?

I was able to fix it by using a distribue list on the 2951 with the intenet connection to block the default route from coming over OSPF, but now just want to find out why it's working that way.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

NIck Weber
Level 1
Level 1

Figured it out myself.

A default route that is injected via DHCP has a administrative distance of 254 and OSPF is 110.

Should have did a few more min of digging, before posting.

I am glad that you were able to figure out the answer to your own question. Thank you for posting back to the forum to tell us what you figured out. It is a good reminder about the admin distance of learned routes including DHCP learned routes.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card