Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV Deployment Concerns

ericbkchng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I've been reading the documents on OTV, and it seems that the usual configurations either involve a direct connection between the N7K core VDCs in the 2 Data Centers (where the SVIs of the VLANs to be extended are located), or at most a router in between the VDCs.

Are there any possible complications (besides latency issues) that I should look for if I am looking to establish an OTV link across multiple firewalls in the Data Center and through a customer MPLS WAN cloud, instead of a direct connection between the 2 VDCs in the 2 data centers? As I understand, OTV packets are basically regular packets that can be routed, and the only criteria for 2 sites to establish OTV connectivity is for them to have L3 connectivity. Is my understanding correct?

Thank you so much for any help and insights, as I'm still trying to get a grip on this technology.

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't know the answer,but my understanding is the same as yours - OTV packets are normal IP packets and I don't see why this would not work.

Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Am hoping for someone who has implemented this in the manner that I had described above, to highlight any potential problems even though it works in theory :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card