cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Out of Band Management

abarb002
Level 1
Level 1

I have been told that I need to set up out of band management for our LAN. I don't need to access the network from a remote site, I just need to be able to access the network via a switch from within the building. I have RDP setup and ssh via my radius server, but I also am now required to have OOBM configured as well. This is a closed network with one layer 3 switch and about 20 layer two switches (3850s and 3750s). I have been reading about this all day, but the more I read the more hesitant I become. I'm asking here because all of my switches are Cisco devices and most of you have done this already. Thanks in advance.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure exactly what model 3750s and 3850s you have but if they have an out-of-band management work, you simply connect that to a switch and put all the ports on that switch on one vlan/subnet. You also need to give each switch on IP address. If the switches don't have an out-of-band management port, you can designate a regular port from each switch for this propose.

HTH 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure exactly what model 3750s and 3850s you have but if they have an out-of-band management work, you simply connect that to a switch and put all the ports on that switch on one vlan/subnet. You also need to give each switch on IP address. If the switches don't have an out-of-band management port, you can designate a regular port from each switch for this propose.

HTH 

Yes this helped. I used an access port via the management vlan to establish a connection. I did however have to add an permit statement to my acl. Thanks

BTW, for "true" out-of-band, you don't want the management VLAN to be on any of your "normal" switches.

Good luck with your project!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card