cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Out of warranty vulnerability software upgrade

djeffdupre
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3850 that has no coverage at all with Cisco.  I`m looking to upgrade from 16.3.8 to 16.6.9, in order to mitigate vulnerabilities.  I can download the software with my account, but I need to know if, for vulnerability reasons, it can be legally installed. 

My quesiton is:  When a device is not covered by Cisco and we need to upgrade the software to mitigate vulnerabilities, are we allowed to download a Cisco software for that purpose?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

djeffdupre
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco provided me the following, which brings light to what can be done or not for a 3850.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/bulletin-c25-739392.html

We have UPDATES, MAJOR RELEASES and UPGRADES. In my case, I will be limited to free Updates for IP Service devices, and no Major Releases allowed for IP Service or Enterprise Service devices, without Smartnet or Smart Foundation contract.

Thank you all for your response.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Yes, a contract is not needed for this situation. And at the end of all the security-advisories you find the process how to get the new software if you don't have a contract and no download entitlement.

Thanks for the hint. Under the Fixed Software section, I had to click on the link "considering software upgrades" which sends me to the

Security Vulnerability Policy page.

In the Security Software Updates section, we can read:

"As a special customer service, and to improve the overall security of the Internet, Cisco may offer customers free software updates to address high-severity security problems. The decision to provide free software updates is made on a case-by-case basis."

"If Cisco has offered a free software update to address a specific issue, noncontract customers who are eligible for the update may obtain it by contacting the Cisco TAC using any of the means described in the General Security-Related Queries section of this document."

The General Security-Related Queries is to reach Cisco via a TAC; which I already did, with no success.

3850 end of sale and the end of life milestones

What didn’t work there? I went through this process several times and after providing the SA reference and the serial I always got the software download.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@djeffdupre wrote:

My quesiton is:  When a device is not covered by Cisco and we need to upgrade the software to mitigate vulnerabilities, are we allowed to download a Cisco software for that purpose?

Yes, it is allowed without any legal consequence(s).

djeffdupre
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco provided me the following, which brings light to what can be done or not for a 3850.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/bulletin-c25-739392.html

We have UPDATES, MAJOR RELEASES and UPGRADES. In my case, I will be limited to free Updates for IP Service devices, and no Major Releases allowed for IP Service or Enterprise Service devices, without Smartnet or Smart Foundation contract.

Thank you all for your response.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card