cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Output discards on Nexus 9K Ethernet interfaces due to bursty traffic

zstamm
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at my options for dealing with bursty traffic on a trunk link.  I am looking at a switched trunk link between a Nexus 9K and a 3560 that has a (now) port channeled interface (bundled two gigabit ethernet links) that currently is dropping an unacceptable amount of outbound packets.  I verified that this really is bursty traffic by looking at traffic and buffer statistics, as well as looking at a packet capture.  

I significantly lowered the amount of output discards by adding another gigabit interface and making the trunk a port channel.  But the output discards are still at an unacceptable level.

The links seem to be able to handle the load, except for the traffic bursts.  Do I have any options to remedy this aside from upgrading the links?  Can I modify the buffers on the interfaces to accommodate the bursts?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
On which device, the Nexus or 3560 or both?

(NB: you can tune buffers on a 3560, I dunno whether you can on a Nexus 9K.)

Mostly on the 9K side.  I don't see any info on tunable buffers for 9Ks, I don't know if it is possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card