cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet size with DOS app throught VPN

k.nebroski
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with a 1710 router that has 1 remote site that VPN's in and runs a dos app locally that accesses data at the host site.

Would changing the packet size in the router have any effect on the speed of the connection? File transfers are pretty quick, but accessing the data using the dos app is so slow that you can actually see the cursor move to the next field.

Thanks

Kev

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

This is not nescessarily a problem with your router. First you should determine what packet size is currently used in the dos appl and why it is responding so slow. This can have several causes:

1: fragmentation issues.

2: problems between the appl & the VPN client.

3: other issues

Anyway, is the vpn client running on the machine that runs the dos-app?

Please post some additional info.

Regards,

Leo

I think that Leo may be on the right track asking about the packet size used by the DOS application. The concept of networking in most DOS applications is pretty primitivce. Most of these applications were written to execute locally or over (high speed) LAN connections and they tend to use pretty small packet sizes. If the application is generating lots of small packets, it may not make an appreciable difference over a LAN but becomes noticable over a WAN, and would be even worse when traffic over the WAN must be encrypted and de-encrypted packet by packet.

If the application is generating lots of small packets then I am not sure that changing packet size on the router is going to accomplish anything useful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I will have to put a sniffer on the network to see what the packet sizes are for local based traffic. The DOS app is AccPac and is running on the remote machine. This machine is using the windows version of pptp to establish the VPN tunnel (easier) and then uses the tunnel to grab data from the server.

Thanks,

Kevin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card