cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer Help. What am I Missing. New to Packet Tracer

Malgandalf01
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to PT and taking the online intro course.

One of the designs they are using at the beginning has three computers connected to a WRT300N which connects to the internet via a cable modem the the cloud then to a server.

I cannot for the life of me get the WRT300n to receive an ip address in the internet port so I cannot ping or get DNS from a workstation to the remote server.

. What silly little thing am I missing?

Yes I am currently a complete noob with PT.

TIA - Mike

45 Replies 45

Malgandalf01
Level 1
Level 1

Here's the .pkt file.

Hi

Please let me see if I can open the file but it should have created a DHCP, NAT and default route to reach Internet.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

That what I thought, let me know.

Thanks

Any news?

Did you find out what was going on?

Change your router to WRT300N. I used Wireless Home Router and had to struggle a lot to find the solution.

Zain Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

use DSL modem instead of Cable modem....cable modem cant be attach with modem interface of Cloud...

use my topology download the attachment

if any problem le me know :)

1.PNG

Zain Khan
https://www.linkedin.com/in/forzain/

It's working.. I am surprised that I followed the cisco tutorial but failed to ping the dns server. But after replacing the cable modem with DSL modem and crosswire cable between modem and cloud, everything started working..

You saved my day!

Attaching the cisco tutorial.. I don't understand why it didn't worked with cable modem as per given instructions.

Hi thanks, Zain, I tried always and didn't have any look attaching the cable modem but your suggestion to connect the DSL modem worked thanks

Actually the Cable Modem CAN BE attached with modem interface of cloud
You only need to use COAXIAL CABLE to connect both coaxial interfaces

wmtski666
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old question, but ... here's worked for me for the PacketTracer 2.1.1.5 tutorial:

Use a crossover cable between wireless router and cable modem, not the straight-through cable shown in the instructions.  Hover the cursor over the wireless router and verify its internet link is up.  And, the same for the cable modem's two ports.

In the Cloud device, make sure you configure it to connect the Coaxial<n> port to whichever Ethernet port you connected the server to.  In  my case, the cloud had two Ethernets, and I mistakenly configured it to connect the Coaxial7 port to the wrong Ethernet.  Once I connected it to the right one, after a while, the server's DHCP server provided an IP address to the wireless router's internet interface, and I was able to ping cisco.com from the PC.

I would attach my .pkt file, but it apparently isn't allowed (and just changing the suffix doesn't work either).

Hi,

Coul you send me your .pk file at jrb.andernos(at)gmail.com

I have the same pb. All is OK in green but i can't ping Cisco.com from PC or from Ladtop.

Thanks

Hello,

post your Packet Tracer project file (.pkt) here (ZIP it first, otherwise the system won't let you upload it)...

We might be able to help...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card