cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet tracer: Redundancy on Switches help!

itsrick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i am trying to make the multilayer switches on the left side of my network redundant however my problem is how do i go at this when the right multilayer switch is the only one that is connected to the gateways for my vlans on the left side if this one fails how do i make the other multilayer switches on my network take this responsibility over?

I have added a screenshot of my network, please let me know how to solve it or steps in the right direction

2 Replies 2

Hi

Did not see the screen shot but as your description, look loli you need HSRP running.

With HSRP you can point a virtual IP as a gateway of you access vlan and on the primary multilayer switch you setup the HSRP with higher priority. This way it will become the Active. On the secondary multilayer switch you can setup a lower priority for HSRP so that it will become standby.

If primary switch became unvailablel, the secondary switch will take over and this will be transparent to your users as theirs gateway is a virtual IP.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

@itsrick You have a duplicate post 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card