cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer unresponsive

mzrdisi
Level 1
Level 1

Suddenly Packet Tracer has started this weird quirk that has made the app impossible to use.

Upon loading the program, within 1-2 minutes, the app becomes totally unresponsive. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I thought maybe I'd upgrade to the latest version and the same issue pops up. Sometimes I'm lucky and I can get 3 minutes of use. I have to close the app in task manager, as the app window itself doesn't response to any input at all. All I can do is drag and resize the window.

Discovered strange behavior, i'm not sure I can describe. So it appears the app is unresponsive, but if I resize the window, the app will redraw and show any input. So for example, if I click on a router or switch, the device window doesn't show up. But if I resize the main window, it appears. And if I attempt any input in the CLI, nothing appears to work, but again, if I resize that window, it appears.

This is bizarre.

8 Replies 8

Hello,

which OS (e.g. Windows 10) is this on ?

Windows 10 64bit, latest update, I believe.

Hello,

try this:

1. Right-click the Packettracer.exe and select 'Properties'. 

2. In the 'Compatibility' tab, click on 'Change the high DPI settings for this program' and select the checkbox next to 'Override high DPI scaling behavior'.

This did not work, unfortunately, but thanks.

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mzrdisi,

Check this:

Q11. On what platforms can I install and run Packet Tracer 7.2.1?

A. Packet Tracer 7.2.1 is compatible with the following platforms: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 ( 32bit and 64bit) and
(64bit).

Q12. What are the system requirements for Packet Tracer 7.2.1?

A. To successfully install and run Packet Tracer 7.1, the following minimum prerequisites must be met:

Minimum
• CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.53 GHz or equivalent
• OS: Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 8.1, Microsoft Windows 10 or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
• RAM: 2 GB
• Storage: 500 MB of free disk space
• Display resolution: 1024 x 768
• Language fonts supporting Unicode encoding (if viewing in languages other than English)
• Latest video card drivers and operating system updates
Recommended
• CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz or better
• RAM: 4 GB
• Storage: 700 MB of free disk space
• Display resolution: 1920 x 1080
• Sound card and speakers
• Internet connectivity (if using the Multiuser feature or tutorials)
Ubuntu Linux

I hope can help you.

Regards

I far exceed the requirements and I do have the latest version of Windows, on top of latest version of PT running.

The app was working fine for several months, since initially installing and setup. However, suddenly, in the past week this problem came up. 

I have not seen this problem before, check your screen resolution or try to open it as administrator (right click and then run as administrator)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I have tried to run as administrator. Same issue comes up.
I checked the event viewer logs and all I get is it telling me there was an application hang and no other info that would lead me down any kind of troubleshooting path.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card