Views
Helpful
Replies

Partial adjacency in Nexus 7k OTV

bonestorm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've been troubleshooting an issue with Nexus 7010 dealing with site adjaceny.  I have four 7ks (two at each site).  Site1-N7K1 is linked via DWDM to Site2-N7K1 over a layer 3 link (the join interface) and this forms an adjaceny.  The same happens with Site1-N7K2 and Site2-N7K2.

However I can't get a full adjacency from the N7Ks in the same site over a layer 2 link, even though the site VLAN is definitely up.  This is the output from 'sho otv site':

Site1-N7K1# sho otv site

Local Edge Device Information:

Hostname Site1-N7K1             

System-ID 4055.3906.99c1

Site-Identifier 0000.0000.0001

Site-VLAN 789 State is Up

Site Information for Overlay1:

Local device is AED-Capable

Neighbor Edge Devices in Site: 1

Hostname                 System-ID        Adjacency-       Adjacency-   AED-     

State            Uptime       Capable 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(null)                   64a0.e740.8741   Partial           2d21h        Yes      

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?  When I do a 'show ip mroute' I only see an entry for the L3 join interface, I'm not sure if this is the problem.

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stevenmcnamara
Level 1
Level 1

What does "show otv site detail" say?

Do you have a dedicated OTV VDC? I'm guessing from your description you are have dedicated point to point DWDM services. See this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DCI/whitepaper/DCI_1.html#wp1186215

The use of OTV VDCs is also required in point-to-point deployments where a pair of separate physical devices is deployed in a dedicated DCI layer to perform the OTV functionality.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

stevenmcnamara
Level 1
Level 1

What does "show otv site detail" say?

Do you have a dedicated OTV VDC? I'm guessing from your description you are have dedicated point to point DWDM services. See this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DCI/whitepaper/DCI_1.html#wp1186215

The use of OTV VDCs is also required in point-to-point deployments where a pair of separate physical devices is deployed in a dedicated DCI layer to perform the OTV functionality.

Thanks Steven,

You are absolutely correct with this answer.  I pointed the join interface at our existing network core rather than through the point to point DWDM and the adjacencies came up no problem.

Mark

DOUG GODING
Level 1
Level 1

I am also having a similar issue with the partial adjacency, however my OTV extension is working.

It seems that the Site VLAN communication is not working correclty, however I have verified the L2 path between the two Nexus switches. I get the same as below from either switch.

Switch2-otv(config)# sh otv site

Dual Adjacency State Description

Full     - Both site and overlay adjacency up

Partial  - Either site/overlay adjacency down

Down     - Both adjacencies are down (Neighbor is down/unreachable)

- Site-ID mismatch detected

Local Edge Device Information:

Hostname Switch2-otv                 

System-ID 04c5.a4e8.cec4

Site-Identifier 0001.0001.0001

Site-VLAN 3919 State is Up

Site Information for Overlay0:

Local device is AED-Capable

Neighbor Edge Devices in Site: 1

Hostname                 System-ID        Adjacency-       Adjacency-   AED-     

State            Uptime       Capable 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Switch 1-otv           4055.3920.4b44   Partial           00:00:10     Yes      

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Switch1-otv# sh otv vl

OTV Extended VLANs and Edge Device State Information (* - AED)

VLAN   Auth. Edge Device                     Vlan State       Overlay

----   -----------------------------------   ----------       -------

10   Switch2-otv                        inactive(Non AED)Overlay0  

19*  Switch1-otv                        active           Overlay0  

___________________________________________________________________________________

Switch2# sh otv vlan

OTV Extended VLANs and Edge Device State Information (* - AED)

VLAN   Auth. Edge Device                     Vlan State       Overlay

----   -----------------------------------   ----------       -------

10*  Switch2-otv                        active           Overlay0  

19   Switch1-otv                        inactive(Non AED)Overlay0  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card