Helpful
Replies

Passive POE with Raspberry Pi4

LaurentLuyckx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

For one of my project, I'm testing a SMB-250 POE 16-ports with a raspberry pi4

So far, I wasn't able to power it up. However it's working fine on my Aruba 2530 (8 POE ports) if I activate the "Poe pre-standard" parameter.

I can't find such parameter on the CBS-250.

My questions are:

- Does the SMB-250 can make POE passive devices work?

- If yes, what should I do to make it power?

Thanks for all your help.

PS: I don't want to use a Poe injector instread. It should work from the switch.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

tough one. There are a few things/settings you can play with, such as the Power Negotiation Protocol. I don't know which one the Raspberry uses...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/CBS_250_350/Administration-Guide/cbs-250-ag/port-management.html#ID-0000294d

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When I was tested some time back with 3750 old one - RasPi Zero for the console - it was required - 802.3af  ( CBS do support AT and AF).

Since I am not on hand on the device - just look at the settings -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-200-series-smart-switches/smb1791-configuration-of-power-over-ethernet-poe-settings-on-cisco-2.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

LaurentLuyckx
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for you replies.

I've already played with all those setting and couldn't made it power.

I'm wondering what Aruba does to have it powered on their switches.

what Pi you have (Raspberry Pi PoE HAT)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It's a pi4 with a custom board connected on the GPIO. The company who designed it told me that it's a passive POE. Actually the pi can be powered with an injector and the Aruba I own.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card