cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Recovery on Cisco Catalyst 3850

Will Phinney
Level 1
Level 1

So I followed several of the postings on how to reset the password, but I keep getting this:

Do I say yes?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thank you for the reply, but nothing in there speaks to the error I receive. I’m gathering that it must have been disabled though as it doesn’t take me into the initial configuration setup where I can say no

As mentioned by @Leo Laohoo - The document works.

I have done some work on the same  long back procedure for your reference. 

http://www.balajibandi.com/2015/05/19/password-recovery-cisco-catalyst-3850/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have followed that well written document and still get that same screen I referenced. It asked me if I want to erase all startup config. Is it possible something was set that would cause this?

looks to mee that password-recovery is set to disabled!

if so and you do not have a password to get logged on, you can only erase the config and start from scratch!

if you have a saved config (with an encrypted password) you can load this and and config a new know password.

Recovering a Device from the No Service Password-Recovery Feature

To recover a device once the No Service Password-Recovery feature has been enabled, use the telnet client only (SSH is not supported). This telnet client is capable of breaking out of the current session by pressing “Ctrl+]” keys together to arrive at the “telnet>” prompt. At this prompt, you can send multiple strings of “send break” during the “#####” boot up window followed by the “Self decompressing the image :” message. You must send five to seven strings of “send break” during the break out session to arrive at the “Do you want to reset the router to factory default configuration and proceed [y/n] ?” prompt. Answer “yes” for the device to boot with the factory default configuration. If Putty client is used for the telnet session, use the break command from the drop down menu. For SecureCRT client with telnet session, press the “Ctrl +break” keys on the full keyboard. The router will not go into ROMmon mode during this recovering process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: