Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR on 4506-E with SUP7-E

iti-smucisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have just bought a new 4506-E with SUP7-E runing IOS-XE 3.1.0 SG. At the moment the SUP7-E has a lanbase license and came with the PAK to license it for ipbase. As at the moment in interface configuration mode I'm unable to use the command ip policy. What do I need to be able to do PBR?

Thanks

Dean

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dean,

You need full layer-3 (IP services) license to do PBR.

Cisco IOS XE Software Enterprise Services:  Upgradable with a SAL; supports full Layer 3 protocols and advanced  features such as complete routing scalability (256K), BGP, Virtual  Routing and Forwarding, Policy-Based Routing, and so on.

Have a look at this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/data_sheet_c78-612364.html

HTH

View solution in original post

Did you enable the routing template first?

"sdm prefer routing"

have a look at this doc for some limitations when doing PBR on 3750s

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1210866

HTH

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dean,

You need full layer-3 (IP services) license to do PBR.

Cisco IOS XE Software Enterprise Services:  Upgradable with a SAL; supports full Layer 3 protocols and advanced  features such as complete routing scalability (256K), BGP, Virtual  Routing and Forwarding, Policy-Based Routing, and so on.

Have a look at this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/data_sheet_c78-612364.html

HTH

Hi Reza

I see, I guess I would need to purchase L-C4500E-IP-ES once I've applied the ipbase license? Sorry I'm new to this, what's a SAL? Can you purchase these through the Cisco retailer that I purchased the 4506-E and SUP7-E or does it only come directly from Cisco.

Is there no way around the problem as I can make the ACLs and the route maps but can't apply the route map to an interface with the ip policy command?

The best way to get the licence is to contact your sales rep for your area.  They will provide you the price for it.

Good Luck

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You need (Enterprise Service License) on the SUP7-E to support PBR. all Lan and IP Base features doesnt support PBR.

you have to look for Enterprise License.

Regards,

Mohamed

Ok, I'll look into purchasing that, unless there is another way to do a work around (see my reply above).

Thanks.

iti-smucisco
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help.

This is slightly off topic but to get around my problem I have tried to configure PBR on my 3750 which has IOS 12.2(25)SEB4 and the IPServices image. I have configured the ACL and the route-map, then I enter interface configuration mode for the vlan I want to apply the policy too and enter the ip policy route-map NAME, which the 3750 excepts. However if I do show ip policy the output is blank, sh run shows that the ip policy is also not on the vlan. I'm not sure why?

Did you enable the routing template first?

"sdm prefer routing"

have a look at this doc for some limitations when doing PBR on 3750s

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1210866

HTH

Great, thanks for that Reza.

This is strange is there something I'm still missing? I have done sdm prefer routing and reloaded. show sdm prefer confirms that it's now set to desktop routing. However I still can't apply the ip policy interface command to my vlan, show ip policy is still blank.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card