Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR on SVI

afshan_nava
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

i came across an issue today when i tried to configure Policy Based Routing on a SVI for the 3560... the SVI i am applying the Policy is also configured for HSRP...

The problem is when i issue the following "cmd" to VLAN 2 interface

config-if>ip policy route-map ROUTE_1

accepts the "cmd" successfully, but i dont see the policy applied to the interface...

am i missing something? pls help

Afshan

9 Replies 9

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

but i dont see the policy applied to the interface

What do you mean by that?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

i mean when i do the "sh run" i see the following

interface  Vlan2

ip  address 10.0.1.2 255.255.255.0

ip  helper-address 10.0.0.2

standby  2 ip 10.0.1.30

i dont see the "ip policy route-map ROUTE_1" applied to this interface

thanks

Afshan

i mean when i do the "sh run" i see the following

interface  Vlan2

ip  address 10.0.1.2 255.255.255.0

ip  helper-address 10.0.0.2

standby  2 ip 10.0.1.30

i dont see the "ip policy route-map ROUTE_1" applied to this interface

thanks

Afshan

Hi,

What does sh ip policy outputs? if you apply ip local policy instead is it in the running?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Adshan

What code are you running? According to this from the Cisco site you need the IP Services feature set.

The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license.

See this link for additional details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/prod_qas09186a00801f3d71.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi

i think i found the cause... as to a document on the cisco website i have to enable PBR by "sdm prefer routing". i did it and reloaded the switch, and then the applied policy shows on the relevent VLAN...

but i have no knowledge of the consiquences of changing the default sdm template... if u happen to have any document explaining this pls share it with me

thanks

Afshan

Afshan_nava wrote:

hi

i think i found the cause... as to a document on the cisco website i have to enable PBR by "sdm prefer routing". i did it and reloaded the switch, and then the applied policy shows on the relevent VLAN...

but i have no knowledge of the consiquences of changing the default sdm template... if u happen to have any document explaining this pls share it with me

thanks

Afshan

PBR does require you to modify the default SDM template. The following URL will provide you with the information you are looking for on differences between different SDM modes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html#wp1139579

Atif

Afshan

Yes the sdm template was the other thing that I was thinking about that might impact doing PBR. I am glad that you got it worked out. I do not have a document to offer, but changing the sdm template should not make a noticeable difference. It does change the way some resources are allocated. I do not remember details but it is things like - in switching the ARP table is smaller while the mac address table is larger and in routing the ARP table gets a bit more memory and the mac address table gets a bit less. And since you are operating in a routing mode I would think that changing the sdm default template to routing would be the right thing to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: