Views
Helpful
Replies

Permission denied for the role - user from tacacs - NX5K

Erico Verissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I am changing the tacacs server but when i have tried to modify (server-tacacs key) i received the message - % Permission denied for the role. Have someone seen this already?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Just based on your post, i would say probably your new tacacs server authenticated you but pushed a role not existing on the Nexus or didn't pushed any role.
Can you give more details for your session please? Have you been authenticated against new tacacs? Which role did you received?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

I will take the information about roles. I do not understand very well the roles config I am newbie in that. 

Thanks for your support.

Roles in Nexus are like privilege in IOS.
You have to push a role to a user to say what rights he has, this means is he able to only view some configs and/or outputs OR is he able to modify the config.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Francesco,

We are not connected to the tacacs and nobody here has the admin password, and than I will recover the admin access. I've never done this before and I will use this procedure:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/password_recovery/b_nx_os_pwr/nx_os_pw.html#wp43327

I have one doubt.. of course I dont want to lose the config on startup.. Would you have some tips for that?

Thanks

I've not done it lot of times but i recall the config was still there.

Thanks
Francesco

Hi

I am facing a similar issue, when I do a "show user-account" I can see my role as "network-operator",  I am using TACACS and ISE, I checked under User Identiy Groups and I am part of Network Admin but can't find whether it has the permission of network-admin  , can anyone guide me to know where I can change or check this value on ISE?

user:username
roles:network-operator
account created through REMOTE authentication
Credentials such as ssh server key will be cached temporarily only for this user account
Local login not possible

Will appreciate your help.

Hi
If you have ISE, do you ensure that you're pushing the role network-admin? If so, what the result in ISE logs, do you see it has been applied correctly?
Here a doc that may help with ISE and NX-OS:
https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/how-to-ise-tacacs-configuration-for-cisco-nx-os-network-devices/ta-p/3631609?attachment-id=149531

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card