Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping Issue

wharrison2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys

I was using ping on the 2524 with IOS 12.1 and did NOT get a reply from a serial 0 interface. I check the interface. It was UP and UP. Since I was on a console session, I check ethernet 0 it was up and up. I got a reply from it with ping? After doing a little more research(CDP), I noticed that the other routers' interface was not on the same network IP with mine. After readdressing (word?) the other router Serial 0, the console session ping to my router worked!

Question, why does another interface IP address have to work in order to test a local interface on a console session?

I was using a back to back cable between the routers could this be a cabling or pinout issue?

Thks

Bill

4 Replies 4

Hello,

as I remember it, on non-broadcast media, traffic destined for the local interface is first sent to the other end of the link, and is then redirected back. So if your remote end is not reachable, you cannot ping your local interface either.

HTH,

GP

Just adding that if your interface is UP and UP, cabling or pinouts will not be the issue.

Josef.

Just to add: The ping will go out to the remote router and back again (provided the remote router is correctly configured), and the response will do the same, i.e. be routed out to the remote and back again.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

wharrison2000
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guy

That help

Bill

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card