cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping issues encountered

robert.molina
Level 1
Level 1

I have run into a unique problem that was first found because I could not ping from server to workstation. Pinging works fine from workstation to server, server to server, but not server to workstation or workstation to workstion. I also made sure that I could ping the switch from both workstations and servers. In order to verify this further, I logged in to my switch (4500) and pinged several workstations and it failed. I pinged a server and it passed. I turned off the workstations firewall and I still could not ping the workstation from the switch. Is there a configuration parameter in the switch that can affect ping? I have all servers connected up to the GigabitEthernet Interface and workstations to the FastEthernet Interface. They are all on vlan 1.

I know it is not much information, but can anyone assist me with this?

Thank you for any input.

Robert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Robert,

I know you noted that you have turn off the firewall software on the workstation, but I think you still have some sort of software i.e. Symmetric end point protection or some thing like it to prevent you from pinging the workstation.  If you have laptop or a desktop that does not have any security/firewall software in it, that would be good device to test and find out if the issue is the software on the workstations.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Robert,

I know you noted that you have turn off the firewall software on the workstation, but I think you still have some sort of software i.e. Symmetric end point protection or some thing like it to prevent you from pinging the workstation.  If you have laptop or a desktop that does not have any security/firewall software in it, that would be good device to test and find out if the issue is the software on the workstations.

HTH

Reza

Reza,

You were correct about the firewall. Even though we could disable the firewall through services, there was a GPO that was still keeping the firewall active. This is what was creating our problem with Symantec and Endpoint not being able to communicate from server to client. Alas, it took half the day for that to be discovered and it was set as part of the image.

Thank you for your assistance. It was greatly appreciated.

Robert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card