Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE does not work with WS-X6348-RJ-45/WS-F6K-PWR module on WS-C6509

haris_drimouras
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

I have a WS-C6509 chassis with two WS-X6348-RJ-45 module with installed Inline Power Module WS-F6K-PWR where Inline Power (PoE) does not work. I also check that there is available power on chassis. When I plug a PoE enable device on a port I did not get a error message. Attached output from commands.

15 Replies 15

Somasundaram Jayaraman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Could you please make the diagnostic level to complete and share us the output of show diagnostic result module detail after hard reseating the card.

To make the diagnostic level to complete:

=============================

conf t

diagnostic bootup level complete

From the output of show diagnostic result module detail we can check is there any issue with the hardware of the module or not.

Also could you please share the output of show power inline.

Did you tried configuring static power to the interface?

Also i would suggest to do a shut and no shut on any interface connected to IP phone and run the

following commands:

1)    Debug ilpower powerman

2)     Debug ilpower event

Share the outputs of the same.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Somu

Rate this answer if you found the content was useful.

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Haris,

Power Budget seems to be fine

Please follow the below steps and see if it is coming up,

Here are the steps for setting the diagnostic level to complete and

reseating the module in slot 3 and 4:

1.            Switch(config)#diagnostic bootup level complete

2.            Switch(config)#end

3.            Switch#write memory

4.            Switch(config)# No power enable module  3

5.            Physically pull out and reseat the module firmly in the

chassis to hard-reset the module.

6.            Switch(config)# power enable module 3

After the module is up again, capture the output of the following commands:-

* show module

* show diagnostic result module 3

*  show logging

* show diagnostic events

Also let me know the IOS version that you are running.

Thanks,

Ricky Micky

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

12.2(18)SXD2 is a very, very old IOS.

The WS-X6348-RJ-45 will only support up to 7w per port, as stated here.  Maybe that's what happening?  Maybe your end-device wants more than 7.0 watts?

Can you  post the command "sh power inline" please?

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

This combination (WS-X6348-RJ-45/WS-F6K-PWR) supports Cisco pre-standard PoE only. Will you please check that your PoE device is capable of this type, ie. it is not 802.3af only.

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi Antonin

I check with a AP1241 that support CISCO pre-standard PoE and that works but indeed with devices that support only 802.11af PoE does not open.

Thank you for your assistant.

haris_drimouras
Level 1
Level 1

I check that WS-X6348-RJ45V combined with WS-X6148-45AF-UG support PoE but the above submodule is EOL. The replacement of WS-X6148-45-AF-UG is WS-F6K-VPWR. Is WS-F6K-VRWR the same as WS-F6K-PWR?

Hi,

The WS-F6K-VPWR daugter board can indeed be fitted in your WS-X6348-RJ45 card but unfortunately this one supports also Cisco pre-standard PoE only.

What you can try is to assign PoE to your device statically. The interface command is:

power inline static max xxxxx, where xxxxx is maximum power in miliwatts.

This command should be available for your Sup720 since 12.2(17b)SXA software release, so your 12.2(18)SXD2 should be OK.

As you have not indicated what your PoE device is, it is up to you to find out 802.3af Power Class and set up the parameter "max" accordingly (please note that this is specified in miliwatts). Also make sure that CDP is enabled on the interface if your PoE device is Cisco, this will adjust power as needed. The last thing to remember is that static PoE assignment is priority one, ie. PoE assigned via "powe inline static" interface command is taken first from the line card power budget (and default "auto" assignment later on from the remaining power budget).

If you do not mind will you please post the output from the "show power inline" command after your attempt.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

haris_drimouras
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I follow your suggestion and set static power in two ports. I test with one HP AP and one AVAYA phone both compatible with 802.3af.  I do not manage to get the PoE up (no power on devices). I try to enable debug for ILPOWER  but I receive no event.

Attached the configuration and result from show power inline

Hi,

Can you please be more specific as which HP AP and AVAYA IP phone you are trying to power? I will check the 802.3af Power Class of these devices for you and we will see what are their power requirements (these may be above the maximum level this card can supply per port). As the card does not communicate 802.3af and the devices clearly do not understand CDP (some HP switches can run CDP but I doubt that AP does) we have no indication so far what the power requirements are.

Thanks & Regards,

Antonin

Hi

I plug HP MSM310 on port 3/3 and one AVAYA AVAYA 1608 on port 3/4.

Interface Admin  Oper            Power(Watts)     Device              Class

From PS    To Device

--------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------------- -----

Fa3/3     static off        7.0        7.0        n/a                 n/a

Fa3/4     static off        7.0        7.0        n/a                 n/a

doubt if this card combo can support 15.4w PoE.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

Both your connected PoE devices are of Power Class 2 requiring less than 7 Watts, which is both the maximum power per port and also the static allocated power. So the required power value is not likely our problem and the reason that Oper interface state is "off" must be something other. At the moment I have no idea what the problem is.

In the meantime please remember that you have set the power inline static to these ports and do not try to connect non PoE devices there (or set the power inline back to default "auto").

I am bit concerned that you have not received any debug message. I understand that you are not conneted locally via the console port but remotely to the switch. I have noticed that there are no log messages displayed either (I would expect some after "shut/no shut" commands and also after exiting the config state. Can you please check that you have not directed your logging to a file and if yes, will you please check the log file for any messages.

Best regards,

Antonin

Please plug the powered end-points and post the command "sh power inline".

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am sorry to say that I have concluded that we cannot force WS-X6148-45-RJ/WS-F6K-PWR card to supply PoE to 802.3af only devices.

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card