Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE switch ports stops supplying power on cat 4507e

egain.com
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i  recently deployed cat4507e switch along with  3 nos of WS-X4748-RJ45V+E - 48 port gigabit PoE modules. I am using polycom IP560 phones.

I am facing issue of some switch ports (randomly) stops supplying power to phone at random time. So far there are about 4 incident and i have been plugging those connection to different - usused ports.  I am planning to RESET the switch module during weekend and i think it might fix issues with those ports.

But what would be quick and easy way to fix this issue when the issue is faced?  How/what to check on switch port interface wrt to power? If switch module is falling short of overall power requirement, is there a way to boost the power?

thanks

regards

Rakesh

=====

17 Replies 17

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Do you have a big enough power supply to power up all the POE modules?

What is the output of "sh power" command?

HTH

Thanks Reza for reply.

I think there is enough power. (there are 3 POE switch modules, 2 x non POE Gig modules and 2 supervisor modules)

the " show power" out put is -

USCORE01#sh power
Power                                             Fan      Inline
Supply  Model No          Type       Status       Sensor   Status
------  ----------------  ---------  -----------  -------  -------
PS1     PWR-C45-2800AC    AC 2800W   good         good     good
PS2     PWR-C45-2800AC    AC 2800W   good         good     good

Power supplies needed by system    : 1
Power supplies currently available : 2

Power Summary                      Maximum
(in Watts)              Used     Available
----------------------   ----     ---------
System Power (12V)       1070        1360
Inline Power (-50V)       389        1400
Backplane Power (3.3V)     40          40
----------------------   ----     ---------
Total                    1499        2800

thanks

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Rakesh,

Please check your polycom power requirements and also the POE version ( IEEE 802.3) you are using on the switch

You can find a table in the link below comparing power availability according to IEEE 802.3 class.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3dd9.html

Also does you logs tell you anything?

When you are faced with this problem have you tried to "shutdown" the interface then "no shutdown" that might quickly fix your problem temporarily.

For the last make sure that your power source is providing enough power to the switch.

HTH

Cheers,

Fabio

hi Fabio,

thanks for the reply.

some information based on your questoins are as below-

- IP560 is ver 2 and takes 6.5w max power.

- i do not see anything on log. (I might not know how to configure and what to see.. please let me know). I do have console loggin enable.

- i did tried shut and noshut - no luck.

do you have any more commands to check ports on PoE parameters?

thanks

Rakesh

=====

Can you try running a simple TDR test on the port?

The commands are:

1.  test cable tdr int ;

2.  WAIT for 5 to 7 seconds;

3.  sh cable tdr int

4.  Please post the output.

leolaohoo thanks for sharing this mate very good info.

No problem Fabio.  I'm glad to be of some sort of assistance. 

hi Leolaohoo,

the output is empty - (this port is UP). The other port which gave power issue this morning is now not connected.

USCORE01#test cable tdr interface gigabitEthernet 2/14

USCORE01#sh cable tdr in

USCORE01#sh cable tdr interface gig

USCORE01#sh cable tdr interface gigabitEthernet 2/14

thanks

Rakesh

=====

Hi Rakesh,

What is your supervisor card/engine?

Can you please run the "sh cable tdr interface " command again.

I have tried this using a Sup7E and the test takes 60 seconds.

hi Leolaohoo,

the supervisor is sup 7-E - WS-X45-SUP7-E.

No luck with that show cable tdr....  command. There is no ouput when i run .. after waiting for more than 60 seconds.

USCORE01#test cable tdr interface gigabitEthernet 2/14

USCORE01#sh cable tdr interface gigabitEthernet 2/14

what test it does? and what kind of output do we expect? thanks

regards

Rakesh

=====

I've tested this command on a Sup7E with X4548 line card and it works.  IOS is 15.0(1)XO1 (3.1.1 SG).

This command will test whether or not you have a cable issue using TDR function/feature.  (Link attached)

From the start of the test to the end, it take 60 seconds before you can enter the command "sh cable tdr ".

Can you try to run the "test cable tdr " one more time?  Then wait for about 60 seconds before entering the next command?

Hey leolaohoo,

Have you ran this in production? Do you think it's wise? or should I schedule a window for maintenance?

Rakesh sorry for hijacking your post....

Have you ran this in production?

Errrr ... Yes I have.  I tested a few ports with WAPs connected to them.  The WAPs weren't in production.

Do you think it's wise?

If you have an unstable link, you have nothing to loose.  Besides, it depends on what you are testing.  If the end device is a powered end-point, this command will "bounce" the device.  If it's a PC client then the TDR won't do any harm to the client.

or should I schedule a window for maintenance?

It doesn't hurt.  Additionally, if you have enough resources, you can test this in a lab.

Thanks mate I tested in our Lab and it works fine...  I wanted to test few cables in one of our DC...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: