cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Point to Point Connections

nshoe18
Level 1
Level 1

I have a quick question on Point to Point connection.

I have a corporate office with a 4506 for now and a new L3 core coming soon. It is connected with a dedicated 1GB link to a Data Center at a remote location that has a Nexus 3048 as the L3 switch there. Is there any reason to put routers in-place to handle the point to point or just let it ride between the 2 L3 switches?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have a quick question on Point to Point connection.I have a corporate office with a 4506 for now and a new L3 core coming soon. It is connected with a dedicated 1GB link to a Data Center at a remote location that has a Nexus 3048 as the L3 switch there. Is there any reason to put routers in-place to handle the point to point or just let it ride between the 2 L3 switches?

Hi ,

Its all depends on your design, how you want this office to be connected either as L2 or L3 .

You can terminate the link on 4506 switch and can have L3 communication between remote and datacenter and can do static routing between two locations.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have a quick question on Point to Point connection.I have a corporate office with a 4506 for now and a new L3 core coming soon. It is connected with a dedicated 1GB link to a Data Center at a remote location that has a Nexus 3048 as the L3 switch there. Is there any reason to put routers in-place to handle the point to point or just let it ride between the 2 L3 switches?

Hi ,

Its all depends on your design, how you want this office to be connected either as L2 or L3 .

You can terminate the link on 4506 switch and can have L3 communication between remote and datacenter and can do static routing between two locations.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card