sebastien3
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Is there any difference between the following configuration :

police 10485500 1966080 3932160 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
police 10485500 1966080 3932160

Which one is recommended ?

I have a Catalyst 4900M switch on which I can apply a service-policy input/output direction.

!
policy-map 10M
class class-default
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/19
service-policy input 10M
service-policy output 10M
!

The switch also supports ingress/egress policing.
Is it better to use shaper for egress traffic and policing for ingress traffic ?

Thanks !

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Is there any difference between the following configuration :

police 10485500 1966080 3932160"

Don't know without knowing the exact IOS version you're using (and sometimes access to the device).

If the two statements, show in the config differently, as listed, that most often, but not always implies they are different.

"Which one is recommended ?"

Assuming they are actually different, depends what the difference is and what YOU are trying to accomplish.

"Is it better to use shaper for egress traffic and policing for ingress traffic ?"

Usually, IMO, a shaper is often better but again, depends on what YOU are trying to accomplish.

Hi,

>Don't know without knowing the exact IOS version you're using (and sometimes access to the device).
I use cat4500e-entservicesk9-mz.152-4.E10a.bin on the 4900M

>Assuming they are actually different, depends what the difference is and what YOU are trying to accomplish.
Input/output bandwidth limiter of the port to which a device is connected (200M, 500M, ...)

>Usually, IMO, a shaper is often better but again, depends on what YOU are trying to accomplish.
Shaper not work in both direction, police work in both direction. It's possible to mix police/shaper.

But I don't know what is the best way to be able to limit the bandwidth of a given port.

">Don't know without knowing the exact IOS version you're using (and sometimes access to the device).
I use cat4500e-entservicesk9-mz.152-4.E10a.bin on the 4900M"

Okay, just (quickly) looked at the command reference and config guide manuals for that IOS version.  From my reading it's unclear (to me) what's a required part of the command.  (To me) it appears conform and exceed action parameters are required, although they might be listed as subsequent configuration lines.  (Which is why I noted, sometime actual device access is needed.  I.e. to "see" what the device does when entering and listing the command in various ways.)

"Input/output bandwidth limiter of the port to which a device is connected (200M, 500M, ...)"

Sure, I understood that.  Perhaps unclear to you, both shapers and policers limit bandwidth, but HOW they impact traffic differs a bit.  See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-policing/19645-policevsshape.html.  Again, when I note I don't know what YOU wish to accomplish, I mean more than just limiting bandwidth.  Hopefully, the prior reference will help you understand the two approaches.

"Shaper not work in both direction, police work in both direction. It's possible to mix police/shaper.

But I don't know what is the best way to be able to limit the bandwidth of a given port."

Yep, shaper only works for egress because it queues excess (again see prior reference).  Also again, both will limit bandwidth, and both can limit to the same bandwidth usage.  Also again, what's "best way", depends on what YOU are trying to accomplish.  Lastly, and also again, IMO, given a choice, usually I consider a shaper "better", but each has its pluses and minuses (as noted in the reference).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card