cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Change from Access to Trunk Loses Connectivity

bob.mckinley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560 Switch and I’ve added an additional VLAN to our switch network and I need one of my ports which is connected to a Windows Server and configured as an Access port to work on two of the VLANs, specifically VLan 8 and 15. (15 is the new vlan). Below are the steps I took, but this didn't work as expected and the server lost connectivity to the network. We backed out our settings and things are back to normal but I need to figure out what I did wrong, Can anyone provide any suggestions on what I did incorrectly?

Current settings of SwitchPort:

Switch#show run int g 0/21

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 201 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/21

description s1p4 - vlan 8

switchport access vlan 8

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q  <--- (I think this wasn't taken out when we backed out our changes, this wasn't there before our attempt)

switchport mode access

speed 1000

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

end

Steps taken to change to Trunk and allow only 2 VLANs

Switch> From the enabled prompt: config t

Switch (config)# from the config t prompt: int g0/21

Switch (config-if)# no switchport access vlan 8

Switch (config-if)# no switchport mode access

Switch (config-if)# no spanning-tree portfast

Switch (config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Switch (config-if)# switchport mode trunk

Switch (config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,15

Switch (config-if)# description s1p4 – vlan 8 and 15

Switch (config-if)# exit

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You config below is correct to convert from an access port to trunk.

Switch (config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Switch (config-if)# switchport mode trunk

Switch (config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,15

Switch (config-if)# description s1p4 – vlan 8 and 15

Switch (config-if)# exit

Did you also create the new vlan (15)?

Remember, the server also needs to be trunked.

HTH

Also, with Reza's suggestion, you should understand that a server (unless able to be configured) will come over the native vlan. If your native is vlan 1, and you only allow vlan 8 and 15, then the server isn't going to come over vlan 8 or 15 unless you've configured the card to tag the traffic as 8 or 15.

If you're wanting to change the native for a trunk, you can do that on this port specifically with "switchport trunk native vlan 8" if that's what you want the untagged vlan on.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

bob.mckinley
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Gents..  I did create the new VLAN 15.  Also the server's NIC isn't being tagged so I'm thinking that's might be my issue.  If I add VLAN 1 then that might do the trick.  I'll try that next and let you know..

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

It's also going to depend on the subnet though. If you're vlan 1 runs subnet 192.168.1.0, but your vlan 8 ran 192.168.8.0 and you now add the trunk, you'll still lose traffic because the server's subnet doesn't match what vlan 1 is expecting. Make sense? You'd have to change the server's address from 192.168.8.0/24 to 192.168.1.x/24 in order for that to work.

HTH,
John

bob.mckinley
Level 1
Level 1

John,

I thought about that too, and makes me think we've not correctly using Vlans. Our switches have something like 10 Vlans, however the switch only has one IP address. For example, the switch itself has an IP of 192.168.69.5 and that's the only IP it has, but the server connected to the switch has an IP of 192.168.70.10 and the port its plugged into has the Vlan 8 associated to it. The 192.168.70.x IP range is only associated on the firewall's interface and nowhere else in the environment. The firewall is a CheckPoint firewall, not by my choice, I inherited this thing.. :-)

To me were may not using Vlan correctly since there is no IP assoicated to it.. Right?

Thanks,

Bob

Well, you can have a L2 vlan and not have an address associated. So, you could have 3 switches with vlan 8 and no router. As long as all of your hosts that are in vlan 8 are in the same subnet, you'd be able to communicate fine. It's when you're trying to cross vlans that you'll run into a problem. You need a device to route between vlans in order to communicate with others outside of your vlan. So, it's not necessary to have a L3 svi on your switch (vlan interface with ip address assigned), but you'll need something to route. If you're firewall is the only other device on that subnet that has an address, that's possibly the default gateway on the servers? Does the firewall see all of the other subnets? If so, that's probably your L3 device that's doing your routing.

HTH,
John

Yes the firewall does see the other VLANs, each interface on the firewall is assigned an different IP from all the subnets we run and those interfaces are connected to switch ports that are assigned to a specific VLAN that we've deemed to be assoicated to that subnet.  We do not have any issues with our Web Servers talking to our App Servers which both are in a two completely different subnet/vlans.

Bob

Okay, so I don't think adding vlan 1 to the trunk port is going to resolve your issue. You should try the following:

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,15

switchport trunk native vlan 8

HTH,
John

Thanks John, I'll give that a try.  My maintenance window opens in about 15 minutes so I'll keep you posted shortly.

Bob

Are you trying to make the port trunk, because you are using VMs with multiple vlans?

If yes, than the vlan IDs need to be added on the VM side.

HTH

Reza..Yes that's excatly what I'm trying to do.. I have added the new vlan IDs to the VM side, however my vm server is not able to get out to the network, but I can see in the switch that the MAC address is in it's table so I was thinking this may be the problem, because I'm using 1 Interface on my firewall to "host" two subnets/vlans but the switchports they are connected to only allow one VLAN. So I thought maybe the problem was that because the switchport was only set to allow VLan 8 traffic to and from that firewall interface that was my issue.  When we attempted this the first time the servers connected to the switch that were using that VLAN 8 would stop communicating when we attempted to lock the trunk down to only new vlan and the orginial..  At the moment I still can't get my VM server to see the outside world..

Bob,

Ok, lets take step back

When you say:

because I'm using 1 Interface on my firewall to "host" two subnets/vlans

Are you using Sub-interfaces on the firewall to host multiple subnets?

You know, you need a sub-interface with IPs for vlan 8 and also 15.

HTH

Reza

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card