Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-channel from one switch to two switchs

netone.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

I am trying to configure port-channel from one switch to two switchs, and only one interface of each switchs make part of the portchannel

Cisco IOS Software, ME380x Software (ME380x-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(52)EY4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

baixo(config-if)

!

interface Port-channel12

port-type nni

switchport trunk allowed vlan 610,611

switchport mode trunk

end

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/3

port-type nni

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 12 mode on

end

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/4

port-type nni

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 12 mode on

end

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cisco IOS Software, C3560E Software (C3560E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

SWBAIXO(config)#

!

interface Port-channel12

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 12 mode on

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cisco IOS Software, ME380x Software (ME380x-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.3(1)S, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

cima(config-if)#

!

interface Port-channel12

switchport mode trunk

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 12 mode on

!

baixo(config)#int g0/3

baixo(config-if)#no shut

*May  7 14:37:41.534: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: channel-misconfig (STP) error detected on Gi0/3, putting Gi0/3 in err-disable state

*May  7 14:37:43.469: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/3, changed state to down

baixo(config-if)#

baixo(config-if)#

baixo(config-if)#

baixo(config-if)#int g0/4

baixo(config-if)#no shut

baixo(config-if)#

*May  7 14:39:02.717: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: channel-misconfig (STP) error detected on Gi0/4, putting Gi0/4 in err-disable state

*May  7 14:39:04.660: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/4, changed state to down

baixo(config-if)#

################ then I put 2 switchs connected (a normal portchannel each with 2 ports) but the same error happened###########

Cisco IOS Software, ME380x Software (ME380x-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.3(1)S, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

*May  7 14:53:12.571: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: channel-misconfig (STP) error detected on Gi0/3, putting Gi0/3 in err-disable state

*May  7 14:53:12.571: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: channel-misconfig (STP) error detected on Gi0/4, putting Gi0/4 in err-disable state

*May  7 14:53:14.497: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/3, changed state to down

*May  7 14:53:14.497: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/4, changed state to down

Could you help me please?

5 Replies 5

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

You can't have a port channel between more than two switches (though this is supported on some platforms - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/interface/configuration/guide/if_5portchannel.html#wp1228139 )

The error you are seeing when you do the normal port channel looks like a config mismatch. Can you show the full interrface and port-channel configs from both sides? 

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Could you try the following things:

1- Copy the configuration on notepad.

2- Remove the port-channel configuration and interfaces  as well.

3- shut down the interfaces at one end.

4- Configure port-channel first at both the ends.

5- then apply the channel group command on the interfaces and configure the rest.

6- Also use one of the etherchannel protocol for the negotiation.

PAgP etherchannel (desirable|auto)

A port in the desirable mode can form an EtherChannel with another port that is in the desirable or auto mode.

A port in the auto mode can form an EtherChannel with another port in the desirable mode.

A port in the auto mode cannot form an EtherChannel with another port that is also in the auto mode because neither port starts PAgP negotiation.

LACP etherchannel (passive|active)

A port in the active mode can form an EtherChannel with another port that is in the active or passive mode.

A port in the passive mode cannot form an EtherChannel with another port that is also in the passive mode because neither port starts LACP negotiation.

Etherchannel without negotiation (on|on)

EtherChannel on mode can be used to manually configure an EtherChannel. The on mode forces a port to join an EtherChannel without negotiations. The on mode can be useful if the remote device does not support PAgP or LACP. In the on mode, a usable EtherChannel exists only when the switches at both ends of the link are configured in the on mode.

Ports that are configured in the on mode in the same channel group must have compatible port characteristics, such as speed and duplex. Ports that are not compatible are suspended, even though they are configured in the on mode.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Hello

The physical interfaces need to be in the same channel-group for that particular aggregation link, they cannot span between two different switches for the same aggregation link

So on the switch with just one physical interface in each ehterchannel- try this:

baixo - towards swtich A

interface Port-channel12

port-type nni

switchport mode trunk

end

interface GigabitEthernet0/3

port-type nni

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 12 mode on

end

baixo - towards swtich B

interface Port-channel13

port-type nni

switchport mode trunk

end

interface GigabitEthernet0/4

port-type nni

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 13 mode on

L2 etherchannel
================
1)Config default physical interfaces involved
2)assign channel-group and channel-group number on the physical interfaces
on let port-channel be created automaticlly

3)create trunking encapsulation directly in port-channel interface config mode
4)reset physical interfaces "shut" "no shut"

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ahh,

I again overlooked the problem statement and can you clarify the following things:

1- R u trying to configure port-channel between the two devices? If yes then my above stated statements still hold the same.

2- If in case you are trying to port-channel from one device to  2 different switches then I am sorry to say this is not achievale with this device.  This scenario is called as VPC and it would be done using the nexus/6500 etc...devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/design_guide_c07-625857.pdf

HTH

Regards

Inayath

@    Inayath -

2- If in case you are trying to port-channel from one device to  2 different switches then I am sorry to say this is not achievale with this device.  This scenario is called as VPC and it would be done using the nexus/6500 etc...devices.

I am on the understanding you can have multiple port-channels from one switch to multiple switches - as long as the physical interfaces in each port-channel are connecting to the same neighboring switch.

VPC - is the the physical interfaces in the same port-channel connecting to two different neighboring switches.

Please share your thoughts

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: