Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-Channel memebers on different 3750x stack memebers

Amir Yanny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a VSS core that has 4 downstream links to 4 stacked switches. I connected each of the 4 links to different switch in the switch stack. I then created a port-channel that combines all the links from each switch. Is there any issues associated with this setup?

A

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you attach a diagram?

Sure.  What's wrong with that?  Looks fine to me.

I use a simmilar szenario, only 2 x 10Gbit.

Works perfekt!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On the stack side you're okay, but you didn't explicitly state that you did not connect all EtherChannel/PortChannel links onto the same VSS 6500 physical chassis (I assume you didn't).

PS:

One possible consideration, on the the stack side and VSS side, since you have four links, and current EtherChannel isn't optimal for not powers-of-two links, you might want some failures to take out two links instead of just one link.  For example, you could have a pair of links on one stack member connect to the same line card on one VSS chassis, the other pair on a different stack member and the other VSS chassis, same line card.  (All four links would still be one logical link.)

On the VSS side i am planning to connect 2 links to each physical chassis. This will give me more redundancy.

lessaid.a
Level 1
Level 1

What Portchannel configuration do you use :

ON/LACP/PAGP ?

Planning to use LACP so mode will be Active. Any other suggestions?

Amir Yanny
Level 1
Level 1

Although the Port-Channel configuration is correct, the only accepted Port-Channel mode is ON. I tried changing the mode to active or desire but the 3750 Stack kept on rejecting it. I don't have the error msg copied but it said, you should be using the same switch to enable this mode (.. i.e Active or Desire).

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

a.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco