Views
Helpful
Replies

port channel servers nexus

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i need to port channel a server (4 1 gig ports) to nexus 2k connected to nexus 7k. right now the nexus 2k are running on a single fex to 1 nexus 7k (even though we have two nexus 7k's)

so

nexus 7k

|        |         

|        |

2k1    2k2

i teamed the 4 ports on the server as a single team and made two port channel (port channel 1 on 2k1 and and port channel 2 on 2k2).

So on the nexus side it has 2 port channel and on server side it has 1 single team going to two different nexus 2k. initially it worked but not now ? is this a valid configuration? (i tried port channeling all 4 ports on the nexus but it wouldnt allow me as the port channeling on multiple Fex is not allowed on Nexux 7k)

what will be the best way to connect all 4 ports on the server to the 2 nexus for resilliance?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Are you sure that you cannot create a Portchannel between interfaces on different FEXes ?

Have a look at "host vPC" configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/if_vPC.html

You should have vPC between the two 7ks.

Dan

we dont have vpc running between both nexus at the minute...all nexus 2k are connected to a single nexus 7k on different fex links (fex 101 and fex 102) - as nexus 7k dont support dual fex to nexus 2k (need nexus 5k in between them)

nexus 2k1

int eth101/1/1-2

port-channel 1 mode active

nexus 2k2

int eth101/1/1-2

port-channel 1 mode active

it came up with an error saying " port channel used another fex, port channel not allowed on multiple fex " or something like this.

so what will be the best way to connect a server (with 4 ports) over two nexus ? is it better to use 2 teams on the server with 2 ports (port channel) going to each nexus ?

We are talking about the port-channel to the Server now. As far as I know you can create a portchannel on server's interfaces.

It is normal that you cannot create a port-channel between 2 FEX-ports. But it should be ok to create 1 port-channel with all 4 ports connected to the server.

Dan

but i would like terminate the server ports across two switches. so in this case i need two port channels dont i ? (as port channel are not supported on multiple fex) - but on the server side does it need two Teams or just 1 ?

No. Look at the FEX as a line card, not as a standalone switch. And look at the 7k as a supervisor.

You will need only 1 port-channel , that will contain the interfaces where the server is connected not the interfaces where the fex is connected to the 7k.

Dan

nope still comes as "command failed: port not compatible [Members in multiple FEX]"

please do note that all nexus 2k are just connected to 1 nexus alone

so is port channeling allowed on multiple fex links ?

right looks like nexus 7k dont support port channeling on multiple ffex...the only way to do it is if you have two n7k or two n5k and each nexus 2k fex to single n7k.

nexus 7k1                          nexus7k2

|                                                  |

nexus 2k1                               Nexus 2k2

|____________Server___________|

in the above case port channeling across two nexus 2k is possible

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card