Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-channel , STP issue

James Simpson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have recently iinherited a new network. I currently have a core switch which is 2 x 3750's stacked. I have 16 2960 switches that are connected to

the core. There are 2 uplink from each switch to the core. 1 link going into one of the switches in the stack and another up link going in to the other.

All but 2 switches have been grouped in to port channel groups. I went to group the links on switch 13 on the core side. I created the port-channel 13

I then added the links channel-group 13 mode on.

On doing this the network went crazyy and the Core started to see all the portchannels as down down, and their physical links. Upon doing this I reversed

my config changes, and I got all the switches back up by power cyclying them.

Please could someone shed some light on this. I have atched the Core config. Is this a STP or security issue ?

Many thanks

3 Replies 3

Hello

Do the  access layer switches have any other interconnects with other switches apart from the core?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi James, I quickly skimmed through the config and want to highlight a couple of things...

Some of the portchannels are configured like this

interface Port-channel4

switchport access vlan 500

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

Maybe this is due to historical reasons but I would take out the switchport access vlan 500 command. If its meant to be the native vlan then please correct this via 'switchport trunk native vlan x' instead.

I also noticed the 'channel-group x mode on'

I would recommend using a protocol to negotiate the etherchannel, perhaps LACP or PAGP. So kindly investigate this, it would prevent loops etc... whereas with mode on - its an etherchannel unconditionally and can easily create loops of all sorts.

This config on certain ports may be a recipe for disaster and most definitely

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/17

switchport access vlan 500

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 12 mode on

spanning-tree portfast

This is what happens when enabling spanning-tree portfast under this interface:

SW1(config-if)# spann portfast

%Warning: portfast should only be enabled on ports connected to  a single host. Connecting hubs, concentrators,  switches, bridges, etc…  to this interface  when portfast is enabled, can cause temporary  bridging loops.

Use with CAUTION

%Portfast has been configured on FastEthernet0/1 but will only
have effect when the interface is in a non-trunking mode.

Since in the configuration on certain ports this is the case and probably an increased chance of creating a bridging loop. The interface is configured as an access port and trunk the same time, along with portfast.

As to the reason why all etherchannels started going down, maybe because of such loop, its very difficult to tell as it could have been a wide range of factors. (did you get any logs for when this happened?) might give us some clues.

I will take a guess to say that it may have been a loop of some sort or perhaps caused several interfaces to go to err-disable state.

If i was in your situation I would take some time to correct each and every portchannel, I would just have a basic simple configuration like this (using LACP as it is standardized) e.g.

interface portchannel 1

description *** EXAMPLE *** Po1 ***

switch trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 500

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/1

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode active

!

interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/2

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode active

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

SOcchiogrosso
Level 4
Level 4

I would take some time to discover the L2 topology.look at the CAM tables and CDP neighbors to verify the access switches are not interconnected. I would take that opportunity to see if any other 'rogue' switches are connected to the access layer by some users.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: