Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Channel vs VPC N5K

epeeler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to connect a server with an independent port channel directly to each of my N5K switches which are running in a vPC peer arrangement.

My question is, can I safely use the same port channel number on both nexus and keep these connections independent of each other?  I believe so, as long as I don't configure the channel interface with a vpc ID?

So basically I want to create po203 on both nexus switches but not have them in a VPC where they would interact with each other in any way.  Can I safely do this or should I just use different port channel interface number on each switch?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since you are connecting the server to 2 different 5ks, in order for the Portchannel to work it needs to be in a vPC. This way logically both 5Ks look as one device to the server.

HTH

Thanks Reza, but I'm actually wanting these to act as two separate switches each with it's own port channel to this particular server.  The server itself is configured with a port-channel for each controller so they want 2 distinct port channels uplinking to the network.

I was wondering if, since I don't want these in a VPC, am I safe using the same port channel number on each 5K or will the switches still somehow try and mingle the traffic.

Hi,

Yes, you can use the same Portchannel Id on both 5ks. Porchannel Ids are locally significant,  And yes, if you want each link in a different Portchannel connecting to a different 5k than you don't need a vPC, but not sure how fail over and redundancy will work.

HTH

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

Just want to understand your server have 2 connection with each Nexus 5K or 1 connection with each N5K.

If it's one connection to each Nexus 5K, and you do not want you use vPC means no need to configure the port-channel on Nexus 5K also and your server configure as active/passive interface.

If your Server have 2 connection with each Nexus 5K and you want to configure 2 separate port-channel with each Nexus 5K you can do it, even you can use same port-channel no.(Po203) due to port-channel no. is locally significance. Just need to configure port-channel without vPC.

Here my suggestion is whenever you have Server with multiple link you should configure port-channel no nexus environment & in Nexus configure port-channel with vPC which will provide you redundancy and provide double of bandwidth via load sharing on multiply links.

Thanks & Best regards;

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card