Views
Helpful
Replies

Port channels

Psmurali89
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All, 

Am looking to migrate services from old DC to new DC. I got 2 Fibre cross connects between old and new DC for this migration. in the new DC I have stack switch (2 switch in 1 stack) and am planning to connect one fibre in swith1 and another fibre in switch2. 

In old DC, I dont have stack switch that have 10G ports. I got 2 separate standalone switches which got 10G ports. These 2 standalone switches connects to 2960 stack (2 switches). So i can only connect the 10G fibre cross connects in standalone switches - one in each. 

Can i configure port channel in new DC and leave the old DC as 2 individual connections? As the 2 cables are going in to 2 independent switches, i wont be able to create port channel? All ports (4 ports) will be set to trunk. 

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope, cannot use a port channel.

You can use stp and direct specific blocking per vlan (using both links).

if OLD DC if you can interconnect the two SW (not stack), then you can use two fiber (not config as etherchannel) and both will forward status but here you must make interconnect between OLD DC SW's be STP BLK. 
Look at it as triangle is head is your New DC stack SW and it base is OLD DC SW's

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card