Helpful
Replies

%PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred

lzaleski1
Level 1
Level 1

Issue is happening on 2960s, and 2960Xs

I am seeing this error message in my log:

Jan 17 2021 19:04:28.725 CST: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: psecure-violation error detected on Gi1/0/11, putting Gi1/0/11 in err-disable state

Jan 17 2021 19:04:28.730 CST: %PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred, caused by MAC address 0000.5c00.10ab on port GigabitEthernet1/0/11.

Jan 17 2021 19:04:29.731 CST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/11, changed state to down

On a port that is programmed as follows:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/11

description Data D53 RM10-Lab

switchport access vlan 105

switchport mode access

switchport port-security

no snmp trap link-status

storm-control broadcast level bps 1m 500k

storm-control action shutdown

no cdp enable

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

end

and after a shut no shut I see this for a show port-security address (notice the mac addresses don’t match)

105    54bf.645d.50e2    SecureDynamic                 Gi1/0/11 

This is happening every couple weeks on different switches across many buildings.  I have a feeling it is happening because the machine is entering hibernation and flaps after hours checking for updates, but does not happen all the time.

any ideas???

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It only means that a second mac was seen on the port 0000.5c00.10ab  whilst your security setting limits to one.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for responding marce!

I understand that the limit is set to one.  What I don't understand is why only so few violations.  I have 1000+ ports programmed the same way and receiving this error a couple times a month.  I can logon to any given switch and see ports flapping after hours.

Would I be better off upping the limit to 2 or issue a restart after 5 mins? Seems to me that is defeating the purpose of using port security!

- The port-policy depends on your Intranet security requirements and needs. Single devices use on MAC and will have no problem with such a port. But as stated with other reply things become different when virtualization-solutions are behind a port , of a load-balancing setup is used with another device on the network, you must qualify port settings per case and accordingly.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

The device connected to this port in question is a Dell PC.  In the logs leading up to the violation I can see the port flap without issue.  Just don't know why it randomly decides to throw a different MAC address.

This happens after hours with the school locked.  I will check other building to see how close the "new MAC" address is.

thanks

L.

Ref : https://macvendors.com/

When using this app , it is seen that the violating mac address belongs to this vendor : TELEMATICS INTERNATIONAL INC. -> This may help you in tracking and finding the particular device.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
CST: %PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred, caused by MAC address 0000.5c00.10ab on port GigabitEthernet1/0/11.

This is because of MAC address changing port-security kick in and disabling the port

what is the device connected that port ? end device or switch ? or any esxi ?

post below output

#show port-security interface Gi1/0/11 

configure below suggestion to fix the issue - test and advise.

#switchport port-security

#switchport port-security aging time

#switchport port-security maximum 3 ( you can allow more MAc address if required to miitgate the issue)

More information at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/command/reference/cli3.html#wp1948525

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

securedyanmic without aging meaning the mac is not remove from port-security address table, and if you config max mac equal to 1 then this make port disable.
please config aging time to make SW remove the previous mac address and learn new one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card