cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

port security

spiros_zaridis
Level 1
Level 1

hello i have a question about port security .I connect together two switch sw1 -sw2  with  gigabit link in  their gi  ports and it works fine .I then set port security in switch2 with max adresses 3 and  when i ping to the host of the other switch in mac address table  Isee three entries of packets instead of two  .Two for the hosts and one  for mac of the gigabit port of switch1 .Is it normal? .it Creates problem when i put max number 3  because i cannot use three hosts in switch 2 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
I would suggest not to apply port security to switchport interconnects as these are usually trunk ports which will have numerous learned mac- addressing , Port security is applicable to edge ports (access-ports)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes correct, you need to increase the count from 3 to 4 (if you looking to have 3 host in the switch) ,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello
I would suggest not to apply port security to switchport interconnects as these are usually trunk ports which will have numerous learned mac- addressing , Port security is applicable to edge ports (access-ports)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card