Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Teaming Through Bridgewave Radios?

kademi
Level 1
Level 1

What I have;

Cisco 3750G fiber ports teamed using etherchannel, to dual Bridgewave radio paths, to Nexus 7000 fiber ports. The etherchannel is set up on the 3750G and the Nexus, the traffic just passes through the Bridgewave radios which have a minimal switch built in. The Bridgewave radios are both running at 660MBs.

Problem;

If any of the radios fail on the radio side the etherchannel doesn't recognize the link is broken and doesn't fail over to the good path. The network just fails to work. If the failure is on the fiber between the radio and the switch at either end, the end that the failure is on fails over, but the end that the fiber still works on does not fail over creating a partial functional path.

Question;

How do I set this up so the ports are teamed, share traffic, and fail over automatically if the failure is on either fiber end or the wireless radio between?

Etherchannel does not appear to be a viable option.

Thanks for any response!

3 Replies 3

Gabriel Hill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Karl,

This is a tricky situation. If I understand correctly, the 3750G and the N7k terminates at a Bridgewave radio device. If the radio goes down, the fiber connection between the two devices (3750G --- Bridewave) and (N7K ---- Bridgewave) are still intact. This would make features such as UDLD useless.

With that said, I am unsure how you could handle this failover on the layer 2 level. If one of the links fail between the bridgewave, spanning tree will continue to function (due to the port-channel).

What are the possibilities of you going Layer 3 across these links?

Hypothetical scenario:

If you setup the links as individual ports (not in a port-channel). Say one port is in vlan 100, and the other vlan 200. Both the 3750G and N7K have IP's configured on vlan 100/200. They both peer over some routing protocol on these vlans. (OSPF,EIGRP).

If something happens to the fiber link, or the radio waves, the neighbor relationships adjacency will close (dead timer), and that interface will not be used until that adjacency recovers. You could have both these links as equal cost load balancing.

You could also achieve this with static routing with SLA's.

I am unsure if this will work with your enviorment. Layer 3 is the only way I can think of to make this work.

- Gabriel

kademi
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Gabriel,

I believe you have an understanding of the situation. I need the bridged connection functionality using etherchannel provides. Does what you propose allow me to share all VLANs between sites? I appologize if my ignorance is showing.

You are fine, this is why the support forums are here!

I really need to know more about your environment. Behind both the 3750 and the Nexus 7k, are you spanning any vlans? Just to be sure I am asking the question clearly, I am asking if there are some vlans in use behind the 3750 that are also behind the 7k as well.

If yes, then my solution will not work as you need it to with your current setup.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: