cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Device detected and removed, how to solve?

Hello everybody.

On a Catalyst 3560 I have these messages showing up:

882492: Oct 20 10:14:28: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi0/27: Power Device detected: Cisco PD

882493: Oct 20 10:14:29: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi0/27: Power granted

882494: Oct 20 10:14:29: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi0/27: PD removed

The port has this config:

interface GigabitEthernet0/27

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 40

no logging event link-status

spanning-tree portfast

end

I connected the cable to port 26 and 37, both of them having the exact same config: the problem still persists.

What could it be and how could I solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

F.

27 Replies 27

Well... I discovered that it is *not* a Cisco-Phone, instead it is some sort of "ASCOM-Phone"... I'll report back when I get this task solved!

Thanks so far!

F.

LOL!

ASCOM?  Don't enable PoE.  Get the ASCOM to use a power brick or you'll be forever troubleshooting. 

Hello everybody.

As for now, the issue didn't reappear. To be honest, I didn't go on with this issue, as nobody ever raised a ticket because of a connected device not working.

Still, during december 2012 this switch has been upgraded from 12.x to 15.0(2)SE...

I would say, the problem (and the device) has gone! :-)

Kind regards,

F.

i have same problem too, and fixed when i used the power inline never interface configuration command: 

Switch(config)# int X
Switch(config-if)# power inline never

Regards,

Manao

That works for me too, to stop the messages. However my device does not receive power either in this case so its kind of useless, unless you only care about messages.

I have the same problem with a samsung POE 10 inch monitor model number DB10E-POE

Feb  8 16:36:15.670: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi2/0/11: Power granted
Feb  8 16:36:15.792: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi2/0/11: PD removed
Feb  8 16:36:19.665: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi2/0/11: Power granted
Feb  8 16:36:19.959: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi2/0/11: PD removed
Feb  8 16:36:23.552: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi2/0/11: Power granted
Feb  8 16:36:23.936: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi2/0/11: PD removed

Now the point of buying this monitor was that it was POE. I can of course put a brick in or its own power supply, however the point was to have one cable running the thing with both power and data.

I suppose there is something the cisco switch does not like about this monitor.  I have 271 watts available on the 2960x its plugged into, so its not overloaded or anything like that.

The cable test is fine, however all say "open" as well as the previous poster. even though its clearly not open, its plugged in next to me on my desk. I have tried to get a firmware update for the device but there are none available.

I tried 'power inline static max 30000' and this has stopped the messages and the device now does power on. So i guess that worked for me! I will make a macro for it incase we get more devices of this type.

Nothing related to the IOS, Try to upgrade the then see.

Replying to a very old post since I experienced similar issue today.

The onsite person had Cisco IP phone connected to POE Switch port but the phones would not power up.

After trying pretty much everything the issue was that the onsite person had accidentally connected the LAN cable to the wrong port on the IP phone.  Switched to the correct port on the phone and it booted up just fine. 

tanner.zaitt
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all!

I am in the same trouble:
My switch is WS-C2960X-48LPD-LB
The IOS is c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E7.bin

I receive error messages:
Dec 28 09:17:52: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/13: Power Device detected: Cisco PD
Dec 28 09:17:52: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi1/0/13: Power granted
Dec 28 09:17:52: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi1/0/13: PD removed
Dec 28 09:18:01: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/13: Power Device detected: Cisco PD
Dec 28 09:18:01: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi1/0/13: PD removed
Dec 28 09:18:10: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/13: Power Device detected: Cisco PD
Dec 28 09:18:10: %ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi1/0/13: PD removed

Behind this port, there is nothing connected!
I only see these error messages..

Is it a possible unexpected reboot generated by the POE port issue??

I disabled Poe in the port and I disabled the port to see what will happen.

DanCindrich9644
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I'm having the same problem but slightly different circumstances.  I have 4 Axis cameras connected to 4 ports on my 2960x switch.  Due to shoddy work by the general contractor at this site, when it rained a few months ago, water filled a conduit running between buildings and ultimately got into a patch panel in the lower building, soaking all the connections.  They corroded and the 4 cameras on that building shut down.

Today we replaced all the connectors and re terminated everything.  Plugged the cameras in and none of them would work.  Looked at the logs which show the same situation as above, Power Device detected, Power Granted, PD removed, over and over.  After troubleshooting logs, power consumption, etc, we just moved the devices to new switch ports and they're all good.

I defaulted those ports and reconfigured them.  Tried with power inline static max 14500 and without.  No change.  Are these switch ports fried?  Everything works on other ports.  

In my case, the issue has been related to the power  consummation of the Cisco access point.

The consummation of the AP was 16.2.

But in the current switch, the max power per interface was 15.4,

I changed the AP to the switch with max consummation 30, where I caught the AP with 16.2 consummation.

Bustafresh
Level 1
Level 1

Most likely you are connected to a device that can accept PoE but isn't configured to do so, if you don't need PoE on this port, set the port to not provide power with 'power inline never' on the interface

telephone guy
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing the same issue, the cable is not the problem, I have a phone on my desk and a 3560 8 port switch that it is plugged into, the phone will be fine and registered and then it will just reregister after 20 seconds and maybe 10 min, very random, ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT: Interface Gi0/6: PD removed, ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi0/6: Power granted.  The phone has been rebuilt, and it is happening randomly to a few other phones in different parts of the Campus.

migrated a bunch of IP phones from a 3750 to a C9300 with POE. One of the ports was for a closed circuit camera. Not sure why we are using up POE port for that but never the less we got the same power alarm. So we ran the test cable commands....test cable tdr interface gi1/0/13 and show cable-diagnostics tdr interface gi1/0/13 and had a shorts........

test cable tdr interface gi1/0/13

show cable-diagnostics tdr interface gi1/0/13

So we replace the cable but still go the power alarms. So I added "power inline never" to the interface and that fixed it. We can ping now also. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: